Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for my long run this morning and really pushed on distance, by the time i got back i was convinced the distance covered must have equalled my record of just under 16 miles which was backed up by another runner whome i disclosed the route too,anyway stuck it on the rout finder and it said 11.6 miles, balls i thought this things not accurate anyway so i went out in the car,by the time i got back i could not believe that i had only run 12 miles, i was gutted, when did they extend the mile ?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself Jarv, 12 miles in no mean feat, you tell any non runner what you have ran and they will be agog :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Overestimating the distance one has run is a common fault I've found. Consequently if someone tells me the distance of a route I always take it with a pinch of salt....and then mapmyrun/drive the route to find out the true(ish) distance.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
In most instances, and particularly in Fell races, I check the distance BEFORE I run it. That way I know exactly what to expect and can programme my little brain accordingly. I once ran a circuit in the Yorkshire Dales which the blurb said was 25 miles. In fact, I measured it at nearer 29. I'd have run into a bit of trouble over that last four miles if I'd set off thinking I was only going to run 25.
Cheers!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Runningfox said:
In most instances, and particularly in Fell races, I check the distance BEFORE I run it. That way I know exactly what to expect and can programme my little brain accordingly. I once ran a circuit in the Yorkshire Dales which the blurb said was 25 miles. In fact, I measured it at nearer 29. I'd have run into a bit of trouble over that last four miles if I'd set off thinking I was only going to run 25.
Cheers!
I do the same when planning a new route.

I trusted SWMBO with a route plan once......3 and 1/2 hours later we were lost and ended up still having to walk for another hour!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts