Runners Forum banner

Gym then run or run then gym?

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  double5 
#1 ·
I try and do a session in the gym once or twice a week.

Due to time constraints I try and get a run in on the same night.

Am I better to run first then gym, or gym first then run?

Gym consists of body weight exercises, core work, abs work, and a little weights.

Run on these nights will be between 5 and 10km.

#2 ·
Run then gym. Run serves as warm up.

I sometimes run to circuits, do circuits, then run home. 5km each way for 10km total. The run home feels much harder than the run there.

Don't use that run for speed work though. If you want to do speed work and gym on the same day do one in the morning and one in the evening.

#7 · (Edited)
I would suggest doing your gym session before your run, especially if you're doing any weight training. This way, your muscles will be fresh, and you'll have more energy for your lifts. Plus, you'll reduce your risk of injury during your weight training by not tiring out your muscles beforehand. I also sometimes run before practicing with my best punching bag for apartment. On the other hand, if you're just doing bodyweight exercises and core work, it might be fine to do your run first.

#9 · (Edited)
I vividly remember grappling with the same dilemma not too long ago. Running before hitting the gym, it's like giving your body a rev-up, priming those muscles for action. When I started doing that, I felt like I had this extra oomph during my gym session. It's like the perfect warm-up for your muscles and mind. Oh, and if you're totally obsessed with the fitness scene (like I am), you should check out hitsona.com. So, keep up the awesome work – whether you choose to run before gym or vice versa, you're crushing it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.