Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I am running mi first Half Marathon (which is also my first race ) in a Month time (Glasgow on the 7 th Sept). I am getting a bit nervous..

I think I can do it but I actually have never ran such a distance. I run up to 8 times a week 6k here 8k there etc.. and sometimes between 10k and 16k. I clocked just over 100k this month half of it is up-hill.

My training is not very structured in term of distance but I run very regularely. Is it a completely wrong approach or could it work ?

Also what your advice would be when I get nearer to the date. Should I reduce the training or continue as usuall ?

Any comments about your own experience of your very first half marathon interest me. Any tips or tricks would be welcome.

Thanks

Christophe

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You sound like you do enough to get around just fine! 16k is exactly 10 miles so you're getting on for the right distance in training. Try and simulate a half-marathon at some point before you go and make sure you're happy with your pace.

I don't think you need to step down your training just yet, still about 4 weeks to go! How long are you used to running continually for? I guess it would make sense to try and make sure you're comfortable running for say an hour and a half continually.

I was due to run a half marathon in March and ended up missing out through illness - was so miffed! 10-miler is as close as I've competed at... I'm doing the same this October but running to a specific strategy... might not be worth me getting in to that because, although the distances are similar, there's still over 3 miles' difference ;)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
How far have you run on your longest runt? The training programm you are following is it actually for a half marathon? For my first half I followed a half marathon training programme for beginners at Run Injury Free with Jeff Galloway: Your Complete Running Resource. Marathon Training, Half Marathon Training, 10K Training.. I train three times a week and the aim should be to gradually to build up your long runs to the distance you are going to race otherwise unless you are very fit (there are some people that can get away with minimal training) it will come as a big shock to your body.

Have you got proper running shoes?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i think you should find a plan and follow it.

im following one of the training plans on the birmingham half webby (i would post a link but apparently
im not allowed until ive made some more posts )
personally ive found following a plan a lot better as its forcing me to run etc when i might otherwise think sod it

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi, I'm doing the same race and it's also my first half although I've done a couple of 10K's. Obviously I can't give too much advice as it's first time for me too.

I'm not following a strict plan but I've looked at several and I run 5 days a week, shorter runs during the week with a bit of hill work and trying to do tempo runs. I do a long run every Sunday and have been gradually increasing the length of that run every week. I'm still only up to 10 miles (same as you) and am planning to do 11 and 12 before the race but probably won't do the full 13 miles until the day of the race. It sound to me like you're pretty fit so I think you'll be ok.:)

good luck

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hello! I seem to be amongst good company! I also am up to the 10 mile point (last Sunday) - but have to say that following a plan is definitely helping (also set for Birmingham Half Marathon). It builds in an easy pace following your hardest effort, but builds up the distance gradually - and build in some speed work/striding sessions. The 10ks I have done have really varied - some hilly, some road, some trail. I am finding the guide is helping me to not push too hard too soon though... (and not get an injury! TOUCH WOOD!!!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for your replies. I find it difficult to follow a plan, juggling between work a brand new baby and finding some quality time to spend with my wife, it is sometimes tricky to find the time.. I am sure you all know about it ..

Anyway I think I'll probably continue to run medium distance (between 4 and 10 k) several times a week and try ti find the time to do a long run per week (between 10 and 20)

and see how it goes

Thanks again for sharing your experience

·
Registered
131 Posts
i'm also doing this run and its also my first half marathon.

i'm currently doing approx 25 miles per week with most of it made up of 10k's and 5k's. Over the last few weeks i've been doing a long run once a week and that is now up to 11 miles. planning on doing 12 miles this weekend and then just maintaining this programme up until the weekend before the race.

what do other people plan to do in the final week leading up to the race? I was thinking of just doing a few 5k's during the week and then resting altogether from the thurs-sunday. not sure if thats right though.

best of luck everyone. here's hoping for a drizzly day on the 7th.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I would just do my normal training during the last week but not do a hill or speed session and rest Friday and Saturday

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have been running half marathons for several years and you pretty much seem to be on track. Finding a good plan and sticking to it is a bit late for you now considering the race is in 4 weeks, so carry on as you are. I can only echo roadrunner 84's comment of trying to replicate the half marathon distance before the actual race in order to see how your body copes. Taper your traning down in the week prior to the race and make sure you have two complete days of rest before the big day. Good luck and above all - enjoy it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.. I actually ran the distance yesterday, well, sort of. Did a 5k run in the morning and a 16k one in the afternoon.

Feel a bit sore this morning. Boy it was warm yesterday !!

·
Registered
61 Posts
i never ran beyond 6miles for my first half-marathon a big mistake.just keep to a steady pace running well within yourself.i ran with a group they finished in 1.50 i was 2.07 .youve almost covered the distance in training so it shouldnt be such a difficult run on the day.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i'm also doing this run and its also my first half marathon.

i'm currently doing approx 25 miles per week with most of it made up of 10k's and 5k's. Over the last few weeks i've been doing a long run once a week and that is now up to 11 miles. planning on doing 12 miles this weekend and then just maintaining this programme up until the weekend before the race.

what do other people plan to do in the final week leading up to the race? I was thinking of just doing a few 5k's during the week and then resting altogether from the thurs-sunday. not sure if thats right though.

best of luck everyone. here's hoping for a drizzly day on the 7th.

I'm hoping for some drizzle too!

My plan is much like yours, will do 12 or 13 miles on Sunday depending on how I'm feeling (and whether I get lost:rolleyes:) then rest monday, short runs tue, wed, thu, then rest Friday and Saturday. That's what I did for my 10K last weekend and it went well.

Good luck, I'm beginning to get excited:)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
just a pointer to consider guys... I wouldn't run your longest run the weekend before the half - especially if you're not accustomed to the longer distances, it could potentially affect you come race day... :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
just a pointer to consider guys... I wouldn't run your longest run the weekend before the half - especially if you're not accustomed to the longer distances, it could potentially affect you come race day... :)
Thanks Richard,

will maybe shorten that Sunday run, it will still leave me two Sundays of confidence boosting long runs. Say I do 11 this week and 12 the week after how far would you go the Sunday before (8 or 9 miles feels fairly easy)?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am really annoyed.. I have to pull out from the race. :evil:

I have been sick for the past two weeks. I had really bad hear and throat infection - I also reacted badly to the antibiotics given. Anyway the race is in a week and my last run was 2 and a half week ago..

Shame, I was really looking forward to it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts