Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a half marathon in january, seems like a good time, between the great scottish run and next years sheffield half marathon, to keep me training through the winter, but I can't really find any, I'm willing to go somewhere on mainland europe... anyone know of any, preferably early to mid january that are on? Google hasn't helped me, so I leave it to you lot for help!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nup... Maybe pushing it a weeeeee bit... after the sheffield half I realise that I need time for rest just incase I hurt myself hahaha... but if I can't find anything else I suppose that'll do though. You find that on runnerworld.co.uk?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh... google has failed us both. :p

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I found some other Half marathons but they are out with Europe :)

I guess a lot of organisers will consider January a bit to risky to run an event due to poor event conditions.

O.

·
Registered
272 Posts
There is a very popular half in York called the Brass Monkeys half which normally produces some quick times so the course can't be too bad? Or the Four Villages Half in Helsby, near Chester? Or did you want a European race?
Check out runnersworld.co.uk

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted a race, somewhere I could get to without TOO much trouble... I'll check out those ones though. Cheers :D

It did occur to me that there wouldn't be many races put on over winter... so I guess it just sucks that winter is my favourite time to run, and when I run the most, and make the most improvements. I don't like the heat in summer, and even if I did, I'm far too happy enjoying sitting in the sun with a cold cider to be running in it!! :p

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I also tend to prefer running in the winter. At least here in Edinburgh winters are quite dry and I prefer the cold to the heat. TBH my ideal running conditions are no wind, dry and between 4-12 celcius.

I enjoy running in the summer warmth if I'm just going for an easy paced long run to the beach, but hate going for a good time when it's around 20c

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I've done the Brass Monkey... it's a good race, well organised.

It's also very popular so you need to enter as soon as you can if you want to run it.
Usually fills up in about a week!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
would the "brass monkey" be in the winter by any chance? :lol:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it's held around the 20th of january again next year then I'm definitely up for doing that one!!! But no info about next year seems to be up yet, so I'll just have to keep on checking up.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
ANS there is a 10k up this way on either the 1st or the 2nd of January every year. Not quite a half but I'm sure they wouldn't mind you running back to the start.

·
Registered
511 Posts
If it's held around the 20th of january again next year then I'm definitely up for doing that one!!! But no info about next year seems to be up yet, so I'll just have to keep on checking up.
Also looking for a half in Jan next year and found that there is actually one right on my doorstep, or rather there has been for the last few years as the 2009 date hasn't been set yet so hoping the dates will be around the same weekend.

Its the Village Bakery Half in Wrexham and all reports I can find seem favourable. (apparently you also get a loaf of bread in the goodie bag!!). I'll keep you posted of the dates when I find them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
does anyone know when the entry forms for the Great North Run come out and also has anyone a list of half marathons in and around the UK for me to plan my year ahead. ta.

·
Registered
55 Posts
does anyone know when the entry forms for the Great North Run come out and also has anyone a list of half marathons in and around the UK for me to plan my year ahead. ta.
GNR entries come out in jan i believe, you can register your intrest on there wb site and they will let you know when entries are open by e-mail
hope this helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts