Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just joined this site, looks really good! As I need all the help I can get if you know what I mean! I have been running for a year now after having operations on both my hips to re-align them as the stupid nurses did not sort them out when I was born so suffered quite a while, then discovered the joys of running! It was amazing to feel no pain! I have completed a 5K & a 10K and am just about to try and complete a half marathon in a few weeks time at the Royal Parks Half Marathon, HELP!!!! I am just going to try and finish to be honest but any advise would be brilliant! Thanks :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi Amelia, and welcome.

Having just completed my own very first Half last Sunday I know how intimidating it can be as the day approaches, although I received some very good advice from here and it saw me through no problems.

Therefore the main bit of advice I can give, is to basically trust in yourself, you've done the training, put the hours in, and you will be fine come the day, even if it doesn't feel that way in the lead up.

Also, just remember to run your own race, make sure you stick to a pace you are comfortable with and don't be tempted to go haring off with the rest of the crowd. It is very easily done, and despite constantly telling myself this I still found I was being dragged along quicker at first than I really wanted and so had to continually hold myself in check, which in the end meant I finished it fine with no problems (and even allowed a slight inward smile as I passed a number of the earlier whippets towards the end as they had blown up and had nothing left.).

But most of all, the one thing you absolutely must do, is to go out and enjoy the whole thing. You'll love it!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
What Summer has said is all you can do :) Go out and enjoy yourself. My first race was a 1/2 Marathon and its brilliant! Its an amazing feeling to cross the finish line, just remember, no matter what time you come in at, its a new personal best :)

edit: Just something else that I remembered, what ever you do, do not use anything you havent used in training i.e. If you havent used powergels in training, don't use them in the race (I did and that was a huge mistake!), don't use new clothing that hasnt been worn before, you never know how it will react to you when running, use clothing and shoes that you have worn in and trust.
Make sure you are well hydrated before the race and if need be, go to the loo before you start the race.....sounds obvious but its funny how you can forget when you are standing in the crowd waiting to start.

O.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much guys for all the advice, it has really helped me!
Oh - I am buying some new trainers today, as have noticed that mine have worn out after only having them for 6 months although I have covered quite a few miles in them and I tend to run back from work every other day, I just wondered if I was leaving enough time to break them in as my half Marathon is on the 12th October and I also have a 10K on the 5th October. I got the trainers from Pro feet and had my gait analyzed at the same time back then but I think since then it might have slightly changed. Anyway be great to hear your thoughts, thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Morning Sunshine

I have no advice I'm afraid...no more than what I have said to you before anyway.
Looking forward to joining you on that 10k. Bring it on!!!

Out of interest, is anyone else doing the Camberley 10k on Oct 5th?

Am feeling quite inspired today so might go for a run later...it's lovely and sunny out. :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It can definately be worth have your gait analysed each time you buy trainers, if it's possible to do so... as you run more and more, there's a chance your gait will alter slightly, I now use slightly less supportive shoes than I did when I started.

You may be exactly the same, but since it usually doesn't cost anything then nothing lost other than a few extra minutes of your time eh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts