Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bath half is next week, I was offered the chance of running a 3rd lap to make it upto 18 ish miles (that is what my training run should be that Sunday). I've declined this and fancy just running the 13, get a time etc. The question is this ......

Do I really try and run the quickest I can bearing in mind I still have 1 week of 'peak' marathon training left after the race. Or take it steady and try and beat the 2hr mark which is something I have never done before ?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Don't quite know what to advise Granty other than to say whatever you do don't go off too fast It reallly will make a difference to your finishing time .

I try to pick off runners in front of me ie catch them gradualy sit on their shoulder then pass them .It worked a charm for me last sunday .

Ok there were 129 people who finished ahead of me But from about mile six only one runner passed me That gives you a great feeling .

Good luck with the half

Cheriton

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Go for that sub 2 hour Granty.

It will be a fantastic condfidence boost.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I would suggest running steady, especially as you still have some more marathon training to do.

Last year, I ran the Glasgow half as part of my marathon training - I took it steady all the way round and felt that I could have ran an extra mile or two if I had pushed myself. I managed to set a PB as well.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Granty... last weekend my FLM schedule (3.30) had me running a fast half marathon, saying to aim for 1.37.
I actually did 1.36.02 so I was pleased :)

So on that basis I would suggest you go for it. Just be careful for the first few miles, don't go off too quick...pick up the pace gradually

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou all, slow to start with then and I'll see how I'm doing at the half way stage, I don't think I'll quite get 1:36 :eek: but I'd happily accept a 1:55 :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Granty,

My next marathon is 6/4..a week before FLM. Sunday I'm doing a 21 miler...hopefully.. and then next Sunday I've a half marathon 3 weeks before the big 'un. My plan is to race the 1/2 hard and aim to try to beat my pb...I'm working on the basis that 13.1miles will seem a breeze after my recent long runs!

The following week I'm back to 22miles before starting to taper.

All the best for your 1/2m.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
All the best Granty with your half marathon, fingers crossed you get a sub 2 hrs :d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Steve said:
Granty,

My next marathon is 6/4..a week before FLM. Sunday I'm doing a 21 miler...hopefully.. and then next Sunday I've a half marathon 3 weeks before the big 'un. My plan is to race the 1/2 hard and aim to try to beat my pb...I'm working on the basis that 13.1miles will seem a breeze after my recent long runs!

The following week I'm back to 22miles before starting to taper.

All the best for your 1/2m.

I'll be doing 22 the same weekend as you then Steve... then 18, then 12, then race day. So you must be on a 2 week taper... :eek:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Granty said:
Thankyou all, slow to start with then and I'll see how I'm doing at the half way stage, I don't think I'll quite get 1:36 :eek: but I'd happily accept a 1:55 :d

yep, that's about it... just keep your head while others go racing off and I'm sure you'll do it :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Trinity said:
I'll be doing 22 the same weekend as you then Steve... then 18, then 12, then race day. So you must be on a 2 week taper... :eek:
That's right Trin ..just 2 easy weeks for me and SWMBO...it'll be fine :eek: ;)

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Just read the thread and will be taking it all on board for this Sunday :) I will be happy with a 2:30 finish but to be honest, just finishing it will be my aim. I hope not to be the last person over the finish line but we will see......

Trinity, a 1:30 1/2 marathon is really good! Maybe one day I will manage that pace....

Where did everyone start for their first 1/2 marathon? Do you go near the front of your group or did you just sit it out at the back?

O.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Owain said:
Where did everyone start for their first 1/2 marathon? Do you go near the front of your group or did you just sit it out at the back?

O.
Some races have 'Expected finish time' boards along the start so you stand roughly near to the one appropriate for you. If not, then for two hours stand somewhere in the middle, faster...more towards the front, slower than 2 hours...more towards the back.

If it's your first half then it'll be a PB anyway ;) Just enjoy the experience... after all, you'll never have a 'first half marathon' experience again ;)

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
My most enjoyable half marathon has to be the one where the race started without warning and I wasn't even lined up at the start line!

As a result I started literally as last but one man, and just worked my way through the field. Comparatively my worst race was the 6miler where I started too far forward and got caught out trying to maintain a faster pace than I could handle... It's a fine line between optimum performance and a race of pain and misery... as it's your first time and you're not worrying too much about achieving a specific time/position then just start towards the back and see how you go. Your certainly won't be last home though bud ;)

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Im currently sitting at my desk at work trying to get the motivation to go to the gym and do a 75 min run on the treadmill....since I started running outside I HATE the treadmill now.....
Thanks for the advice, I hope to settle in to my pace quite quickly, don't want to get half way round and wish I had started slower!

O.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts