Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's coming up to March/April time and the Half Marathons are coming thick & fast.

Who's doing what and what are you expecting?

I'm doing Reading this weekend and am already feeling the adrenaline & nerves jangling a bit. I see Sc8pe is doing it too, so good luck to you Sc8pe!

I'm hoping to consign my 3 year old pb to the scrapheap, but I see the wind is picking up today to add that extra element! :rolleyes: Hopefully it'll settle down a bit by Sunday....

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Bath for me in on March 16th (I think)

Looking to break 2 hr for the first time.

LJ - whats needed for a PB from you then ? and how's the FLM training going ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My pb is 1:28:39 from Reading 2005 so I'm hoping for a couple of minutes off that dependent on the weather.

The FLM training is going OK, I've plateau-ed a bit at 35-40 miles a week but I'm being consistent at 5 runs a week so I'm happy. What about you? Are you doing a long-un this weekend?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck for Sunday Trinity, how's your FLM training going? Any advice for us 1st timers at this stage...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
LazyJones said:
My pb is 1:28:39 from Reading 2005 so I'm hoping for a couple of minutes off that dependent on the weather.

The FLM training is going OK, I've plateau-ed a bit at 35-40 miles a week but I'm being consistent at 5 runs a week so I'm happy. What about you? Are you doing a long-un this weekend?
You sound a bit further ahead than me (not to mention faster :d ), I'm out for 16 on Sunday, been feeling rough for the last few days so have taken a 3 day break and glad to report that I feel much better now.

(touch wood) managed to avoid any injurys so far.

Good luck in the half on Sunday Trin, likewise to Dave on the 9th (ankle permitting).

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Good luck to you all this weekend, I look forward to hearing your results.

Dave might see you on the 9th, if not good luck.

TT

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
LazyJones said:
Good luck for Sunday Trinity, how's your FLM training going? Any advice for us 1st timers at this stage...
LJ... it sounds to me like you're doing just fine. Keep in touch with your body, don't be a slave to your schedule if you need an extra days rest. Don't be a hero in pre FLM races...just do what you need to do.

You're doing great

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Thanks for the luck... I might need some of that. As I mentioned in the other thread I have been very ick over the past couple days so while it appears that the bug has beed ousted, it's left me feeling a bit weak. I'm also not exactly feeling like I want to eat yet, but I know I need to.

Other than that my training has gone remarkably well so far (touching wood) :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trinity said:
Thanks for the luck... I might need some of that. As I mentioned in the other thread I have been very ick over the past couple days so while it appears that the bug has beed ousted, it's left me feeling a bit weak. I'm also not exactly feeling like I want to eat yet, but I know I need to.

Other than that my training has gone remarkably well so far (touching wood) :)
Trinity, when it come to good luck you are due a big dollop of it for sure!

You've got 48hrs more recovery so I'm sure you'll be close to 100% by then. Get some food down you girl!

Good new re the FLM training too.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Shakespeare 1/2 Mara at the end of April for me, seems an eternity away at the moment but 3 weeks until my next race, then another 2 weeks after, then 3 weeks to Shakespeare half.

Hoping to knock a big chunk of last years time and destroy my mate who beat me by a second last year.

Best of luck to those racing this weekend. A weekend of (much unwanted) rest for me unfortunately.

·
Registered
835 Posts
LazyJones said:
So it's coming up to March/April time and the Half Marathons are coming thick & fast.

Who's doing what and what are you expecting?

I'm doing Reading this weekend and am already feeling the adrenaline & nerves jangling a bit. I see Sc8pe is doing it too, so good luck to you Sc8pe!

I'm hoping to consign my 3 year old pb to the scrapheap, but I see the wind is picking up today to add that extra element! :rolleyes: Hopefully it'll settle down a bit by Sunday....
Reading will be only my second race (the first being the new forest half last september)
I'm very confident that I'm capable of beating my 2:04 from that, but I'm a little concerned that the race is much bigger than my previous and that there will be too many people in my way.

Good luck LazyJones (BTW I'll be the one in Blue shorts;) )

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Sc8pe, don't worry about the numbers running the race. I've done Reading before and it settles down soon enough. & it's got championchip timing too so your time will be accurate even if it take a couple of minutes to cross the line.

Blue shorts heh, no problem then :), I was going to look out for someone in all green with their tongue hanging out ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
LazyJones said:
Hey Sc8pe, don't worry about the numbers running the race. I've done Reading before and it settles down soon enough. & it's got championchip timing too so your time will be accurate even if it take a couple of minutes to cross the line.

Blue shorts heh, no problem then :), I was going to look out for someone in all green with their tongue hanging out ;)
The New Forest half had championchip timing, so I know that 2:04 is my true time for that race. Thanks for the reassurance about the jostling at the start, sounds like I shouldn't take too much notice of my fist mile split.

Having lived in Reading all my life, I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like to run, having spent previous years cursing the fact that all the roads are closed (even if it is only for a couple of hours once a year on a Sunday!)

Does the blue nose give you away?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think they're trialing colour coded start numbers this year too so hopefully this will mean most people are where they should be, but we'll see.....

Yeah the one with the blue nose & collar that's me. Hopefully I won't need to use the litter tray during the race :~

·
Registered
813 Posts
Good luck everyone for this weekend.
I am doing Reading, judging by the 'up and down' training the last few weeks, I will probably be coming over the finish line on all fours! Look out for the pink and white puss!:d

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
llanelli half been struggling for the last fortnight with a medial ligament problem did four and half last night race pace no particular adverse reaction so should be ok for sunday

Really looking forward to it good forecast too can be really windy around mile 7/8 though as its a coastal course .

Good luck to everyone!!!!;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts