Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Right, basically I'm just after some thoughts here.

I'm new to this running lark and had been massively enjoying it. However, I developed a medial strain in my left leg - basically one of the forms of shin splints apparently. I've already missed two weeks of training and I'm likely to be out for another two - which is gutting as I was genuinely starting to enjoy it as my stamina improved.

So, getting to the point, here's my question. When I stopped running I had just done my first 7 mile run and it took 58mins. That's about right for my pace I think, I'd also done 5 miles in around 45 mins the previous week.

Now, I really want to do my race (on the 3rd of March) in around 1hr45mins.

My physio has already warned me I will have to take things very easy when I do get back to running and I'm bound to have lost some stamina too.

So, is that target likely to be realistic? I know it ultimately depends on me - but as I mentioned, I'm very new to this game, so don't really know what kind of effect the injury will have and how quickly I'll be back to running properly.

Any help is well appreciated - and I'll stop now cos this post is getting very long!!:confused:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Ron,

It's really hard to judge if your goal is realistic. If you are very new to running then you will have a very rapid improvement to start with, so if you've done 7 miles in 56 minutes already, it sounds very possible.

The advice I'd give is not to try and run as quick as you can every run - run easy most of the time especially if you are increasing distances. This should stop you getting injured.

Once you got a month under your belt without reaction I'd build a stamina specific training session into your program to help you prepare for the 1/2 marathon while still increasing your long run to up your endurance.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Ron... chill!

As I understand it this is your first race. The aim of the first race is mainly to get round and enjoy the experience... whatever you do will be a PB anyway so why put pressure on yourself to achieve a particular time and risk disappointment if something goes wrong on the day.

If I was you I woud put a general aim to finish sub 2, which is most definitely achievable at your current standard and in the time frame you have, provided you don't overdo it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'd say it certainly sounds quite a realistic goal to me. liek LJ says, try to vary the pace of the runs and I'd also try and not run soley on road / tarmac if possible to take the straign of the legs as much as possible.

I'm assuming that you have proper running trainers with plenty of cushioning to help with the medial strain you had.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Ron - Trinity's advice sounds pretty much spot on to me. I'm hardly a running Guru myself but since you said yourself that you're relatively new to everything, getting round a half marathon is achievement enough (at least it would be for me :p)

I was about to start a thread with a similar question actually... I've had a break of around 9 to 10 months from any *serious* running (final year of a degree took over my life - meh!). I ran a 10-mile event in 1h14m about a year ago but feel tired after a steady 4-mile run now. I was also giving serious thought to a half-marathon in March, but wondered if I'd be capable :-( I should have plenty of time to train over the next few months but realistically there are only 10 weeks or so to play with - eek. If anybody thinks I should just forget it, please feel free to say so!
Ed

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I don't think it will be too much of a problem as long as you don't expect too much of yourself on the day and look at it as a way of getting back into it, because at some point in your training you would have to do that distance anyway...

Hope this helps

TT

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Ron... i'd aim for sub 2 hours, you may well achieve sub 1:45 (my first half I was hoping for sub 2 based on my fastest training run times, and managed 1:40). But being in the unpredictable situation you're in then I think it could all too easily end in tears if you put too much pressure on yourself.

roadrunner... can't see any problem with you completing a HM, as long as you're not aiming to match your previous form just yet! A friend of mine completed GNR having never ran further than 6.5 miles - in all honesty i didn't expect her to finish though, lol! Oh how I tried in vain to encourage her to train! :p

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Thanks Richard and TT for the advice :) I'm in the Adidas Silverstone on March 9th, don't know much about it. Cost half as much as the GSR did last year, though... I wanted to run the GNR last time but it was full :-( By the way, anyone know a good way to raise funds online for a really small cause? I've used justgiving.com in the past but they charge charities £15 a month to be listed - seems wrong! Not sure if this post will get the right attention here but oh well :) Thanks again both of you!
Ed

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
roadrunner84 said:
Thanks Richard and TT for the advice :) I'm in the Adidas Silverstone on March 9th, don't know much about it. Cost half as much as the GSR did last year, though... I wanted to run the GNR last time but it was full :-( By the way, anyone know a good way to raise funds online for a really small cause? I've used justgiving.com in the past but they charge charities £15 a month to be listed - seems wrong! Not sure if this post will get the right attention here but oh well :) Thanks again both of you!
Ed

I have done silverstone twice it's a good organised race, this year I am sure I ran through at least 4 seasons it was crazy ha ha. Good flat course but can be windy because it is very open, hopefully you will have good weather this time, good luck.

Apart from justgiving I don't know I am afraid :huh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts