Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum!

I’m running a couple of half marathons, the first of which is in 12 weeks and I'm looking for some advice on how I should to train for it in my current (generally unfit) position.

I have some experience of running as I used to run alot about 7 years ago, (I have previously ran a marathon in 4 hr 5 minutes and a half marathon in 1 hr 45), but in the past few years my running and general fitness have fallen off the radar. I've started running again but I'm slower (read rounder), and can run a 5k in around 28-29 minutes, and a 10k in 55 minutes.

Since last November, I've been doing some circuit HIIT training, spin classes and some weight training to help me improve my fitness and lose some unnecessary timber. I'd really like to continue with this training going forward, as I enjoy the variety.

So to summarise, I'm trying to get leaner and faster in 12 weeks worth of training!

I'd love to achieve a sub-1h50 so I'm hoping an average week might look something like this:

Monday - Easy 4-5 miles
Tuesday - Circuit training and weights
Wednesday - Speedwork run/Fartlek
Thursday - 6 miles steady
Friday - Circuit training and weights
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Long run - 8 miles+

Do you think the above sounds like a decent plan? Should I put in more rest days? Should I do more runs, and less mixed training?

Any help would be really appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
James

·
Registered
760 Posts
It looks ok but personally I would do one fewer weights session and make the steady into one thing or the other: either easy or say a threshold session.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with Steve, (how about swimming?) but would also suggest that you slowly increase your weekly mileage, with at least one long run of 15 miles.
Despite general advice to the contrary, I need to run the full half (wouldn't, probably couldn't) two or three weeks before the race, just to be sure I'm doing it right, but of course this involves a taper / recovery period in the middle of training.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts