Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, new to this site and would really appreciate a bit of advice.
I've been running regularly for about two years, probably doing about 10 miles a week. I ran two 10k races last summer (55 mins). I've been running since but haven't really stepped it up. I've got a place for a half marathon and wonder if 6 weeks is long enough to train properly. I'm not bothered about doing a brilliant time, just getting round in one piece.

Top tips appreciated.

Cheers,
Caroline

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Hi and a arm welcome to the forum,
You've already been running for two years so that's a great start!!
you say your not worried about the time you want to run in the half then six weeks is no problem Try to build up the distance your running each week a little at a time give it a go enjoy the day and plan your next half so that you can give yourself a bit more time .

take it easy and let us know how you get on !

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
My first half marathon in about 6 weeks as well... I'm running about 25 miles a week at the moment but what I will say is I've run 10-mile events with minimal build-up and it worked out ok. I once read you should be able to complete half the distance of your upcoming event 'comfortably'. That seems sensible to me. Just do what you can, take it easy and enjoy yourself :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I think you'll be OK as well, just take it easy and train as well as you can, just set yourself a realistic goal in terms of time for the event.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
my goal for my first 1/2 marathon is just to finish it however, last night I had the longest run yet of 11.5 miles and I still have a good few weeks to go until the 16 march, Edinburgh 1/2 Marathon.

Im not nearly as experienced as the guys who have already replied but I reckon 6 weeks should be enough to get ready for the 1/2 marathon :)

O.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Well yesterdays run of 11.5 miles was in 76 mins. I just need to get outside and run when the conditions are a bit better. I really want to know how far I can run comfortably outside.
As you will see in my running blog I have started to put more incline on the treadmill over a 10min period to get used to going up hills.

Sorry for the thread Hijack Caroline :)

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I think you're fitter than you may have realised Owain - Sub 1:30:00 on the cards for sure... even 1:20:00 could be possible on the day! (of course i'm just guesstimating)

Good runnin O :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, new to this site and would really appreciate a bit of advice.
I've been running regularly for about two years, probably doing about 10 miles a week. I ran two 10k races last summer (55 mins). I've been running since but haven't really stepped it up. I've got a place for a half marathon and wonder if 6 weeks is long enough to train properly. I'm not bothered about doing a brilliant time, just getting round in one piece.

Top tips appreciated.

Cheers,
Caroline
Hi there. How did your half marathon go?
I've just signed up for one on 24th Feb (about 6 or 7 weeks) so I would be interested to hear how you got on with a short time to working up to it.
I run 2 to 3 times a week. Usually one is a slow longish run of 8 to 10 miles. The other two are shorter and include some interval training.
Many thanks
Fran

1 - 10 of 10 Posts