Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesnt look like im going to get into the Army (medical reasons), but i like running so im looking for another goal to work on and i thought about next years 'Great North Run'

Just wondering how i should train for such a event?

Any advice would be appriciated

·
Registered
123 Posts
Trooper4 said:
Nothing???
Apparently not :( someone reply, because I'd quite like to be working up to half-marathon distance. I can run the whole distance but at a very slow pace and would like some long-distance runners to shed some light on training.

I hear that there are lots of training guides out there though which if someone replies will no doubt be mentioned.

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
I've done a few half marathons and although I don't stick to a rigid training schedule for them I think you need to be doing at least one longish run a week along with your other training. I would advise 10-12 miles. Make sure your comfortable running 8 miles or so at your race pace.

Also, use races as training. Plan some 10ks and 10 milers as part of your training schedule.

I do around 35-40 mpw which I think is about enough to take on a half.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Trooper - i started year fairly unfit and overweight. I did circuit training once a week and built up to running 10k in just under an hour on treqdmill. I then introduced some hill runs and intervals but kept the 10ks going and got to 47mins relatively ok. I then built up the 10ks to 7 miles then 10 and kept circuits and hills.
I did the East Kilbride half marathon in July and ran 1hr 52 reqasonably comfortably. I am now going to join a club for the social.
So mix up circuits, hills, intervals and increase the steady runs and it will be "nae bother". :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Just about my favourite distance the 1/2M.
Monday...5m easy
Tuesday...8m easy/steady
Wednesday...rest
Thursday...speed/hill session...with warmup and cool down...about 7m
Friday...5m steady
Saturday...rest
Sunday...10-13 easy to steady.

All distances are approx and weeks vary of course...some more some less...depending on work etc.

If I'm planning to do a good race, ie go for a good time, I'll train specifically for 10 weeks. If it's just a race to enter for the fun of it 4 weeks gets me up to speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts