Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a 47 year old female vet.

Ive recently run 47 minutes for 10K and am about to do my 2nd half marathon. Its a cross country route so quite tough.

Last year I aimed to break two hours and got 1hr 59mins. (It was my first half) this year (my 2nd) I have no idea what pace to run at.

I don't want to go off too fast and ruin my chances of a good time, but i know there is a mile long hill at about the 10 mile point so that's going to take it out of me.

I've put my 10k into a converter and it says 1hr 42, obviously i have to take the terrain and the hills into account.

Any ideas what pace to go for.

Thanks for any advice, I was a 400m/800m track runner back in the day so this is all new to me.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I ran a sub 1:42 half a few months ago when my 10k PB was around 47 minutes, but that was on a flattish road course. On an off-road hilly route I would be considerably more conservative.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'd go for 8 min/mile (5min/km). That would give you a 1:45 total time, and leave something in the tank for that hill, and a strong finish if you feel up to it.

Hm, might be a bit quick for this course, considering your previous time. But you may have improved since then. Did you find it easy last year?

I did my first half last year, aiming for under 2 hours, and managed it without too much trouble. This year I'm going for 1:45.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Its difficult to suggest a pace for a cross country HM. Course conditions on the day can have a huge impact. I'd suggest running it by feel. If you can run a 47 min 10k I think you can do a HM on feel reasonably well.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think you can probably judge it yourself on the day depending on how the terrain goes underfoot. If it's solid enough that it doesn't drain your legs too much then I would try just a tad slower than your 10k pace. If you have to be conservative then just pull back a bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your great responses. I did a practice run a couple of weeks ago over the course and it felt easy to get a 2hr 1 min time so hoping I've improved, I've knocked 2 mins off my 10k time over the year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts