Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm Kazzie. I'm a 36 year old married mum who started running in January 2008. I was very overweight - 14st at 5'2". I'd already lost 2st last year. When I started running I could go about 2-300 metres. At the end of August I did my first competitive 5km in 40.41 - not fantastic but not bad for an overweight old bird with a gammy knee! Anyway, I'm down to 12st, and hoping to run a 10k next year. In the meatime I'm enjoying running 2 or 3 times a week, especially outdoors on a Sunday morning. I'll be looking for training tips and motivation, particularly on speed endurance. I hope to be able to do a 10k in around an hour so will have to speed up a bit!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kazzie, you will find a lot of encouragement and advice here, and a great mix of abilities/experience. You've already done the hardest bit by starting (only took me to the ripe old age of 52, wish I'd known what I was missing!). Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome Kazzie.

well done on your first 5k.

Make sure you keep us informed of your progress.

Any more races on the cards soon...???

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi Kazzie,
Welcome to the forum, well done on doing your first 5k, as has already been said, you've done the hard bit of actually going out and running, the rest becomes a life style :)

O.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No firm plans for a race yet, but I'm looking for a 10k in London next year. I've got a dodgy knee and had surgery a couple of years ago. It's going to need doing again in a few years, and there's a family history of knee probs. I was told that I would need a replacement knee in 10-15 years. I'm hoping to hold that off with the weight loss, but there's really only so much I can get away with. I know that I can do one 10k, probably won't be able to do any more, so I'm trying to find a really good, high profile race to make the most of it. In the meantime, I'm running a couple of miles at least once a week to maintain fitness. I'll be after training tips! Thanks for the welcome, and your support.

Kazzie

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Hello Kazzie, welcome to the forum. Step inside take your coat off put your feet up and enjoy.

Sorry to hear about your knee never good when that sort of thing happens must be worse knowing it's coming. One thing to bear in mind though is that running strengthens joints so heres hoping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts