Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo,

My name is Viv, I am totally new to running.

I would appreciate some advice as to how best to build up training. I don't have much time on my hands, so I tend, at the moment, to run more days, than others, which I don't feel is helping me build up fitness adquately.

Any advice appreciated. :)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Hi Viv! Welcome to the forum!!! :)

What kind of running are you doing at the moment? (i.e. how far and and often - if I may be so cheeky as to ask!) From that I'm sure plenty of people will be able to give you all the advice you could ever need :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the moment, it's just half a mile about 3 times a week, but I'd like to do a lot better, and eventually enter a race of some kind :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
welcome viv,

having been at the same stage as yourself when i started about 2 years ago, i would say that you should just try and build up your distance until you are running for a few miles at a time. Regularly raising the distance by small incrememnts worked best for me.

next time you are out why not try to go a few hundred yards further? you'll find that your endurance rises quite quickly if you concentrate on small achieveable increases.

good luck

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Viv

Welcome to the site.

I was doing 1.5 mile runs just over two years ago and now run 5 miles twice a week and hoping to increase that with the advice I have taken from the good people on here. Just push it that little further week by week and you will be surprised what you can achieve in a short time.

Good luck...

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi Viv,
Welcome to the forum!
I can't anything more than what has already been said, just enjoy your runs going a little bit further each week. Before you know it you will be running miles without thinking :)

O.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would you say these pedometer things help for walking at certain points? I've just bought one.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Don't know about using pedometers but would advise increasing time out running and distances run be taken steadily....slowly but surely build up sterngth nad fitness...you'll be up to 5k distance and then
5m in no time....try running at different times and different route to keep training varied and interesting.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi Viv!

I'm pretty new to this too and used a 5k training plan to kick things off. Now I try to stick to the rule of no more than a maximum of 10% more distance or running time a week, not both!

Good luck with everything and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Welcome to the forum from me as well Viv, nothing more to add that has not already been said, build up slowly and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hello, Viv
if you're out 3 times a week you're doing well already. Just add a little bit each week, and enjoy it. :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Viv

Welcome to RF, keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.

TT :d

1 - 13 of 13 Posts