Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm currently training for a half marathon on the 1st of April & I keep getting a problem with one of my hamstrings. It feels sore & restricted, and is painful if I put finger pressure to it. This wears off after about 5 days but comes back again with increase miles. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Is your sciatic nerve a bit tight? Have you been running up and down lots of hills? You say its hurts if you put pressure on is there any bruising?

You probably know the drill RICE, sounds like there might be some inflammation so maybe some NSAIDS but if it continues to be a problem might be whorthwhile seeing a physio to get it checked out.

Remedial sports massage may help particularly if your muscles are a bit knotty.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't even thought about it being a sciatica. It's right in the middle of the leg if that makes any difference. I tried icing it last night but it doesn't seem have helped, I'll have another go tonight. I've never tried compression bandages, do you think they help? I got a referral letter the last time it happened so I may try the physio route. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Depends what sort of injury it as as to whether compression banadages help - I've tried compression shorts but never thought they made much of a difference.

There tests that the physio can do to see if your sciatica is tight. If you lie on your non-affected side, draw your knees to twards your checks. Extend and straighten your top leg (this should be the affected one) if flexing the foot increases the tension in the back of your thigh it could be an indicator of a tight sciatic nerve. Do you get any shooting pains or pins & needles?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts