Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was kind of getting apprehensive about the cost of going to Sheffield to do the Great Yorkshire Run, I entered it ages ago back in the days when I knew nothing about all the little races in my own back yard. Anyway, hotel alone was going to be £75, plus had yet to book trains, and of course would need food and other supplies along the way...

I spotted another 10k in my own city on the same day, so after a bit of soul searching figured it would be easier to run in that one and entered it.

I figure my advantages would be a) I would be closer to home without the hassle of staying over and b) a vastly smaller field and a reputed PB course would give me a much better chance of a PB or a good run and I can get home straight afterwards.

Suppose the downside is I will miss out on the atmosphere of a Great Run type day (then again I have enjoyed all the smaller runs I have done without having to careen into people ALL the way!)

So have I done the right thing? I have no idea how to tell Great Run I have cancelled, suppose I will get a race pack soon, will just have to send the chip back...

Now I did say the 10K in my own backyard was nearer - but looking at the public transport it looks a bit tricky to get there for the race start without catching 14 different buses (early starts on Sundays are a pain of my life!) - so it looks like taxi. Will taxi companies do fixed fare deals if you book in advance, I was nearly made unfit to race as the meter cracked up the tenners the last time I went down this route! :worried:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Can you slip a mate a few quid to give you a lift? - I know it's a Sunday morning but still worth a try!

Great Run days are quite hyped up and atmosphere is fantastic in my experience, but you'll have plenty of chance to catch another one!

Out of interest, where is the 10k you ended up opting for?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, did the Manchester one so will be sure to get in for that next year it's so handy :d

Opted for the Mizuno Trafford 10k.

I will find a way to get there, on a shoestring or otherwise - am just one of those odd people who had never learned to drive at all!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Did you do Great Manchester Run this year? I was there, barely trained and felt like I was going to die :lol:

I was gonna say Trafford shouldn't be too bad from Audenshaw way, but then I checked Google and it's further than Altrincham :s Still, taxi shouldn't be too bad because it's only a stone's throw from the ring road?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you do Great Manchester Run this year? I was there, barely trained and felt like I was going to die :lol:

I was gonna say Trafford shouldn't be too bad from Audenshaw way, but then I checked Google and it's further than Altrincham :s Still, taxi shouldn't be too bad because it's only a stone's throw from the ring road?
Yup, GMR this year was my first ever "race". I wasn't long out of my running nappies (had only just managed to run 10k at all about a month before) but enjoyed it and it left me hooked for more!

I think it's still about 20 miles taking the ring road - and 20 miles is a lot in a taxi! Still, I only need it one way as I can easily pick up a bus to get back into town and then home from there, so I will be OK - and still a saving on the £100+ hotel and train would have cost me for the other one! :cool:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Call round a few private hire firms and ask for a fixed price. Once they give you a price - haggle them cos it won't be their busiest period - early Sunday morning. Book up with whoever is cheapest and then you know in advance how much its gonna cost, so no fretting on the way to the race.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts