Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...been to an athletic meeting?

I've been to footie, rugger, cricket, the greyhounds, horse racing, motor racing, Le Mans, hockey, basketball, American Football but not to a live athletic meet. ( School sports days don't count!!!!)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
...been to an athletic meeting?

I've been to footie, rugger, cricket, the greyhounds, horse racing, motor racing, Le Mans, hockey, basketball, American Football but not to a live athletic meet. ( School sports days don't count!!!!)
I've only been to see the American Football here in Europe. Did you go to a gam ein the States? I'll be just a wee bit jealous if you have.

Not been to an athletics meet yet - might drag myself down next time there is something on at either Scotstoun or the Kelvinhall in Glasgow.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've only been to see the American Football here in Europe. Did you go to a gam ein the States? I'll be just a wee bit jealous if you have.

Not been to an athletics meet yet - might drag myself down next time there is something on at either Scotstoun or the Kelvinhall in Glasgow.
New Orleans Saints v. 49ers at the Superdome....it were brill!!
Saints won it on the last play

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Do you mean gone to see Athletics as a kind of spectator sport? If so then no, but my sister took time off to see the commonwealth games when they were in Manchester - I never got chance :(

Been to lots of athletics meets as a teenager, mostly regional stuff... nothing too impressive!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I went to Crystal Palace a couple of weeks ago to watch the atheletic, there were so many things going on at the same time you didn't know what to watch first, the track stuff was great we were right by the finish line and in some cases the start too.

I would recommend it.

:d

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Did it not inspire you to want to have a go TT. Gliding round a tartan track, smooth and fast, is a great feeling and, I think, the purest form of racing. Would recommend all forumites to give it a try, perhaps as a club member in their local Track & Field League.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I used to love running track. The smell of new running spikes and fresh cut grass makes my stomach flutter a bit heh :) I've still not beaten some PBs that I set at 15 years old, how depressing is that? ha!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'll never forget my first ever race on a tartan track. It was the Northern Veterans 10,000m Track Championships at Stanley Park in Blackpool in 1990. I lapped everyone to win the MV55 category, and the race outright, in 37.43. Besides runners and their families there were quite a few holiday makers in the grandstand. The feeling of elation as I sprinted down the finishing straight to the tape with all those folk clapping and shouting was quite an experience. I was on cloud nine all the way back to Yorkshire.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
a 37.43 10km is pretty impressive! I can imagine that felt pretty good. I've never felt like I've reached my maximum potential - it's what keeps me training I suppose. You feel like you were at your peak back then? Does anyone ever feel like they're the best runner they could be? I don't suppose it's like you get a gold star and a pat on the back when you get there - never really any way of knowing is there!?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
You feel like you were at your peak back then? Does anyone ever feel like they're the best runner they could be? I don't suppose it's like you get a gold star and a pat on the back when you get there - never really any way of knowing is there!?
Only results will tell. At 23 years old you'll be on an upward curve for quite a few years yet - and you'll know exactly where your peak was when you start going downhill. I got my first big win when I was 55, in a marathon, after fifteen months of running. Dunno whether it was a milestone or a millstone because after that I couldn't bear to be beaten in my category. But it took seven years, into my sixties, to reach my peak. I'm not sure I ever reached my full potential. I'm certainly on a downward curve now!
Cheers!

·
Registered
516 Posts

Now I realised where I recognise that avater from Grant! :)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
New Orleans Saints v. 49ers at the Superdome....it were brill!!
Saints won it on the last play
The atmospehere must have been great, especially with it being indoors.

Now I realised where I recognise that avater from Grant! :)
Claymores games were great - the only time I've drunk beer in Hampden was when the Claymores were playing. Showing up at booze free "soccer" games weren't the same after that.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I went to Crystal Palace years ago and by accident happened to be at the meeting when Zola Budd broke a world record for 2000m wearing a British Vest.

I remember being gobsmacked by her insistence not to wear shoes but more memorable was seeing how half the crowd protested silently by refusing clap at her achievements that night and the other half gave a standing ovation. (A very political hot potato at the time). You found yourself being very definitely on one or other side of the fence there was no way you could sit on it!

Just googled it to find out when it was .... July 1984!!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The atmospehere must have been great, especially with it being indoors.
It was excellent. I'd recommend it to anyone going over the pond for a holiday even if they are not fans of the sport.

Followed up with a jazz evening...top day!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts