Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day i went for gait anazyed and the lady suggested some trainers and i think they fitted me well, yesterday i went for a run in them i did 10mins of walking to get warmed up going slow walking to getting faster slowly for 10 mins, then running for about 2mins or so and then walking and running again. but the problem i got yesterday was when i was running i was finding some pain in my shin/knee.

Should i just do some walking for awhile? I was going to do 2 chairty runs 5ks in a few months, though i did like to run abit though i douno if it'd be best to walk most of it? and i wondered how can i streghten up my knee/shin i wondered or what food i should be eating to help me out with the pain if possible?

thanks

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Did you have the pain before or after buying your new shoes? Sometimes when you start running its normal to get some intial discomfort as your body adapts. You can do some exercises such as straight leg raises to strengthen you quadsa and try walking on your heels to strengthen your shins. Are you stretching properly after a run?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i did get some pain with my knees before i went for some prober trainers for me, so i shouldnt be worryied about it then? i'll try walking around on my heels and try lifting my legs slowly when standing. yeah i am streghting after a run. i got your pm Steady Edwina thanks, i didnt see it till a few days ago because i didnt expect pms opps.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
How's your height/weight ratio littlestarter?
That pain could come from not enough cushoning for your weight...

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Straight leg raises should be done sitting down. Sit down on the floor and lean back on your hands (elbows slightly bent). Lift your right leg up off the floor and keep the foot flexed then pulse your leg (not too high) for about a minute. Repeat on the other side.

Make sure you stretch out you quads, calves, hamstrings, hips (side and flexors) and glutes - holding each stretch for 20-30 seconds.

Shoes won't automatically fix a pre-existing injury - it usually takes a couple of weeks for things to settle down.

·
Registered
180 Posts
how are you doing with your knee pain now i,m struggling a bit at the mo with the same sort of thing but hopefully it won't last too long. My first race is in June and i cant wait i'm finding this running lark really addictive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts