Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often get a headache after running. not immediately but a couple of hours later. i eat a couple of hours before running, always, and take in plenty of fluid. i'm also using a lukozade recovery drink straight after, and i always eat again - usually within one or two hours. i stretch, i don't go nuts - what's this headache?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Did I read somewhere that taking too much water onboard PRE/DURING/POST a race is as bad if not worse than not taking enough, somethign to do with the brain swelling up ? :confused:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Granty said:
Did I read somewhere that taking too much water onboard PRE/DURING/POST a race is as bad if not worse than not taking enough, somethign to do with the brain swelling up ? :confused:

You did. There is a condition, can't think of its name, which is caused by drinking too much so one must be careful and, as is the case in most things in life, be sensible with your intake.....150ml per 15mins I think is suggested as the most one should drink.

Do as I say not as I do syndrome here though......yesterday I drank maybe 250mls only in just under 90mins.:eek:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I drank a litre on a run of around 3 hours yesterday and that felt about right to me..

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bagpuss said:
Water was it? or a three mile pub run!
That was last night..............2 Hours in the pub 3 1/2 Litres.

Deserved every single drop after yesterdays efforts...............................;)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Dave said:
That was last night..............2 Hours in the pub 3 1/2 Litres.

Deserved every single drop after yesterdays efforts...............................;)
Yes, don't blame you, you need to keep up your liquid intake!

I only ran 6 miles on Saturday morning, but my body didn't deserve what I did to it on Saturday night!

·
Registered
6 Posts
A likely cause for headaches is calcium rigor, which is caused by magnesium deficiency. Body can always take calcium from bones, even on those days when none is coming with diet, but magnesium is a totally different story. Calcium and magnesium have to be taken together. If you look at the calcium supplements, they are almost always mixed with magnesium.

You should take about 1000 mg of magnesium per day. And also 1000 mg of calcium.
Do an internet search for "calcium rigor" and "magnesium deficiency". Body has over 350 magnesium metalloenzymes, if you do not have elemental magnesium in your bloodstream, the enzymatic precursors cannot form functional enzymes.
Should you decide to start supplementing with magnesium, make sure it is NOT oxide. Magnesium oxide is the cheapest form of a commercial supplement, but it is also a powerful laxative. Chelated or citrate is the best.
I have two websites where this is described in detail, but I cannot post URLs here, which I find a strange requirement, as I do not sell anything there, not even Google AdSense.
If you want, send me a private message, I'll reply and your headaches will be history.
P.S. I understand you Brits write "rigour", so adjust your search accordingly.
P.S.2>>> DO NOT take vitamin C with calcium and no vit C for an hour after you take calcium. No copper supplements with vit C either.
::hth
Icepack

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, Beachbum:
I posted a detailed reply about how to cure headaches, but apparently I clicked a wrong button (Advanced) instead of a Quick Reply. You may want to look for it as a separate thread. I am new on this forum, still learning which buttons to press
icepack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts