Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well we've just got back from a 3 day break at a health spa (appologies if i miss anything important but i cant be bothered to read through all 500 unread posts..) and had a a few treatments to try and limber up ready for sundays race..

my summary:

Full Body Massage:
uber nice.. very relaxing and made me feel like flopping after.. i dont think you can possible ever have too many of these things... :happy:

Sports Massage:
it might just have been the dude that did my treatment, but i felt that this didnt give me anything more than the full body and didnt even give me the nice relaxing feeling. but i do think it would have been better if was recovering from an injury. overall a waste of £50 :notrust:

Shiatsu:
following Sweatys recomendations.. i think this is what i was expecting from my sports massage..this is well worth the money as a pre-race treatment but i would leave it a couple of days prior to running as i did feel a little tender after :happy::happy:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Shiatsu

:love: SHIATSU SHIATSU SHIATSU!!!!!! :d

Having trained in and had a few different holistic treatments I had a fairly good idea of what to go for pre-race! Shiatsu is not a calming, oily, relaxing massage, its more about unwinding a very tightly wound up spring.... it works by ascertaining where the blockages/congested areas are and using all manner of force to relieve it! We are not talking neading and rubbing - we are talking using hand pressure, elbows, knees and in some cases foot pressure(!) My therapist - Wilbur - a Philippino - with skills! He found I had a very very tight left hamstring - and he slowly worked this out - through pressure whilst I breathed outwards... it wasn't that pleasant, it was like a pre-race stretch, but to the max!!! It is really good to stretch this way once every so often because as a runner you can get very very tight muscles and they need to be lengthened. I thoroughly recommend shiatsu - because I felt about 5 inches taller afterwards and confident about the race... there was a bit of talk about my chakras and my energies being blocked (not so sure if this is so believable to some on RF) – but he said I had a lot of energy within me – it just wasn’t able to come out in the way I want it to. The most amazing thing – I could touch each shoulder with my opposite knee! We will see how it goes at the race – but even if it has given me a bit of a confidence boost, then it was worth it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts