Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right folks looking for some advice and tips on eating to help with running. I often find hard motivating self at mo because feel tired. I also want to lose some weight to help with my running, about 10 pounds or a stone. I am a really fussy eater and can eat quite well in the day but of a night i get really hungry.

Anyone got any advice on good healthy eating regime to supplement running? I want to try and lose some body fat !!!

Any tips much apprecaited

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Wot he said.

Also as a definate non expert and due to my lifestyle I have been exercising as soon as I get home and before eating. That way by the time I have exercised, showered and cooked I eat quite late. Next it is bed and I have not snacked or felt hungry.

Might not be scientific but I have lost 2 stone doing this.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Hmmmm it's a very very complex subject that you could really go into endless detail about... but seeing as you really just want some pointers, how'd about telling us what your current diet looks like, what you're eating and when... and also what you can't stand to eat?

First pointer I'd say is ensure you have at least 3 solid meals a day (though 5 smaller meals is preferential)... and also don't build up to a calorie crescendo, i.e. don't have little/no breakfast, a small lunch and a huge dinner... ideally you want you calorie intake spread evenly through the day... A typical breakfast for males should be 600-700 calories, which I expect very few people have! (myself included!)

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've lost about 10lbs this year by following 2 rules

1) When you're full up - stop eating
2) Don't eat a lot of crisps and chocolate etc. between meals

·
Registered
143 Posts
Most of it has already been said.

At night, to avoid snacking theres a few things you need to do.

eat a decent healthy meal that will * Keep you feeling full

* Keep your blood sugar levels stable

Those things will help you avoid feeling the need to snack and reduce tyour overall calorie intake.

This meal should contain a protein source from meat, chicken, fish ect, some fats (unless its red meat) and lots and lots of veg.

The reason for this is because protein, fat and all the fibre from the veg will make you feel nice and full, and will not cause an increase and then a fall in blood sugar ...which is the point when you reach for the crisps or chocolate. Avoid foot with a heavy Insulin load (google this). This means any kind of bread and pasta etc

Try this and you will notice the benefit.

Last night i had some popeseye steak stir fried with carrot, green peper, mushroom, onion, spring onion & chilli. a little garlic & tomato pure to add flavour and olive oil to fry with.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Scarbib_jack said:
Avoid foot with a heavy Insulin load (google this). This means any kind of bread and pasta etc
I agree with the first bit... but I wouldn't say avoid all pasta's and breads? As a runner, complex carbs are virtually a necessity - Avoid refined carbs (white bread & pasta) but help yourself to the wholmeal alternatives :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
ahh whilst pasta has been mentioned, i eat a lot of fresh pasta but i never seem to see a wholemeal pasta in the fresh section only in the dried variety, so is fresh best?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
fresh is generally better than dried, but personally I would expect dried wholemeal to be healthier than fresh white... I agree though, there's only been once or twice (and I can't remember where) that I've seen fresh wholemeal!

·
Registered
143 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
I agree with the first bit... but I wouldn't say avoid all pasta's and breads? As a runner, complex carbs are virtually a necessity - Avoid refined carbs (white bread & pasta) but help yourself to the wholmeal alternatives :)
Hi Richard.

Im not suggesting the OP avoids pastas and breads all the time, just at night time with her evening meal to help avoid her feeling the need to snack..for the reasons said above. This includes wholemeal alternatives. At other times in the day such foods will naturally be in the diet im guessing.

This really does help.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Cheers for clearing that up... Now you've said that I remember reading in a few places that carbs shouldn't be ingested after 7pm if you're aiming for fat loss?! :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, It would help. It would also be best to avoid them before running. It may effect performance but it will be more productive for fat loss. I didnt find it effected my performance, infact mine inproved....but im a newbie runner so its bound to keep getting better anyway! I dont count therefore

Insulin is the beast you need to get under control on a diet....once you do that it is soooo much easier to avoid sugar cravings.

Diet juice is a bad one for me. Afte a can of that i'm choking for a bit of chocolate or something sweet. Because its so sweet your body thinks its geting sugary food and releases insulin...buggering up your blood sugar levels and thus making you crave some chocolatey delight :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i'm not sure if this message is given very much but i doubt being funny about what you eat makes you a better runner !...

not eating chocolate, not drinking any alcohol, having 5 meals a day instead of 3, not eating fatty foods and having very restrictive rules about what you can't eat will not make you a better runner...

fast runners are fast because they go out and run further, for longer and more often than slower ones - some people run ~100 miles every week !...

i think the role of nutrition is overrated... in my opinion people should concentrate on running more rather than thinking they cannot eat nice foods - like chocolate, crisps and sweets - if they want to get better at running... if you run enough they you can easily burn this off and trust me you do need to eat a lot if you want to run a lot... as long as you have adequate fuel for the run and are not dehydrated then this is all you need...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Just to reiterate, pasta is good. It has a low GI so you won't lead to a sudden rise or drop in blood sugar. Complex carbs are very important for running, as richard pointed out, and will help control your blood sugar so you won't feel hungry during the day. I probably eat too many carbs, but I have still maintined a healthy weight for over 2 years through running.

One more thing. Avoid anything labelled as "low fat" like the plague, because you can guarantee it will be loaded with sugars. Not healthy at all. My simple advice on eating to maintain a healthy lifestyle is:

1) Never eat anything with transfats.

2) Eat 3 good meals a day and try to minimise snacking.

3) Eat chocolate and other treats in moderation, but don't cut it out of your diet entirely.

4) Minimise the amount of saturated fat in your diet, but don't worry too much about overall fat content. A lot of fats are good.

5) cut down the amount of refined sugars and salt in your diet.

When I'm buying food, the only thing I look for on labels is amount of saturated fat, transfats, salt and sugar content. I don't think it is necessary to look at much more than that.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Revenged said:
i'm not sure if this message is given very much but i doubt being funny about what you eat makes you a better runner !...

not eating chocolate, not drinking any alcohol, having 5 meals a day instead of 3, not eating fatty foods and having very restrictive rules about what you can't eat will not make you a better runner...

fast runners are fast because they go out and run further, for longer and more often than slower ones - some people run ~100 miles every week !...

i think the role of nutrition is overrated... in my opinion people should concentrate on running more rather than thinking they cannot eat nice foods - like chocolate, crisps and sweets - if they want to get better at running... if you run enough they you can easily burn this off and trust me you do need to eat a lot if you want to run a lot... as long as you have adequate fuel for the run and are not dehydrated then this is all you need...
Oh, how nail-on-the-head-true that is.:d

Well done Revenged! That's probably, no that's definitely the best nutrition/running-related post I've ever read. Fantastic! (But I think that there may be several people out there who now want you shot for heresy, blasphemy and nutritional treason! :eek: ).

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
pedestrian said:

Well done Revenged! That's probably, no that's definitely the best nutrition/running-related post I've ever read. Fantastic! (But I think that there may be several people out there who now want you shot for heresy, blasphemy and nutritional treason! :eek: ).
So much wisdom from one so young Mr P:d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
pedestrian said:

Well I can live with this, and most of the time I actually do :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Some comments I agree with, some I don't...

Look at elite runners, and look at their diets. Pedestrian has obviously done brilliantly in his 'running career' on his self-confessed 'diet that leaves a lot to be desired', but I don't know anyone else in Ped's situation, and I'd still contest that Ped could well have ran better on an improved diet.

Yes the majority of people are slower than the elites because of their vastly reduced training load and intensity; and people will improve their running through improved/increased training, but a nutritionally sound diet supplements the training incredibly - and it's not just about running performance, we're talking about weight control and general well-being too.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Some comments I agree with, some I don't...

Look at elite runners, and look at their diets. Pedestrian has obviously done brilliantly in his 'running career' on his self-confessed 'diet that leaves a lot to be desired', but I don't know anyone else in Ped's situation, and I'd still contest that Ped could well have ran better on an improved diet.

Yes the majority of people are slower than the elites because of their vastly reduced training load and intensity; and people will improve their running through improved/increased training, but a nutritionally sound diet supplements the training incredibly - and it's not just about running performance, we're talking about weight control and general well-being too.
I agree with this. Regardless of whether a better diet will improve your running (I am not that strict on my diet and am sceptical that my times would improve dramatically if I were a lot stricter), it's not a good idea to think "I can eat what I want". Personally, I eat chocolate sweets and consume alcohol in moderation because I want to minimise my risk of heart disease, cancer and diabetes, among other things. You can be a good runner, of perfect weight and generally appear very fit, but still be clogging your arteries and developing fat around your organs if you eat crap. Also, if you eat too much of the sweet stuff your teeth will eventually fall out :p

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
pedestrian said:

:)

I think Gillian McKeith might be after me :eek: !

1 - 20 of 38 Posts