Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So, at the end of a big effort from me in a 5k my heart rate went to 210.
This seems high, but is it normal? Does anyone else's heart rate go to that?
I felt fine, well knackered obviously, but didnt feel like i was going to die!
Just wondered what people think, maybe i should get checked out?
FYI am 32 years old.
Thanks

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
If your not dead and it only peaked at that I wouldnt be concerned. There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what your peak rate is and it is cetainly different for each person.

Also it could have been a glitch in the monitor. The connection is not infalible

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
does seem quite high but you're still alive eh :) see if it does it next time and u'll know if it's a glitch. I have the opposite problem in that i feel like i'm goin all out and never go above 184 or so. Not workin hard enough!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
It can happen Damo, if you start to run uphill for example, or as you said, if you have a sudden burst of speed.

As has already been said though it could be a glitch, but personnaly I reckon if you were having a short sharp burst of speed it is probably a fairly accurate reading.

How long were you at that rate for?

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I've gone over 200 in my club's monthly 5km race before, but only for the last couple of minutes or so. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you're not feeling any ill-effects after the run.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm 34 and at the end of a run where I was pusing the last part averaged 200 bpm over a 2 minute period - so I wuldn't be overly worried - unless there are other symptons that make you think something aint right

Why not try a 'stress test' to check what your max rate is, and if you are using a continous HRM with software - look to see if it was a glitch or conisitently above 200 bpm over the hard period.

·
Registered
835 Posts
does seem quite high but you're still alive eh :) see if it does it next time and u'll know if it's a glitch. I have the opposite problem in that i feel like i'm goin all out and never go above 184 or so. Not workin hard enough!
Are you sure? The treadmill I use warns me that my HR is too high at 162 bpm. But I am twice your age and at 80kg probably considerably heavier. Maybe I've answered my own query ?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Are you sure? The treadmill I use warns me that my HR is too high at 162 bpm. But I am twice your age and at 80kg probably considerably heavier. Maybe I've answered my own query ?
Also is there a setting somewhere which causes it to warn you and is that set up correctly?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Also is there a setting somewhere which causes it to warn you and is that set up correctly?
Yes, I have to enter my age and weight before each session (something that is done in the secrecy akin to entering your pin number at a checkout! Don't wont those gym babes knowing my real age and weight!!)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Yes, I have to enter my age and weight before each session (something that is done in the secrecy akin to entering your pin number at a checkout! Don't wont those gym babes knowing my real age and weight!!)
Haha :) Sounds like it is using standard formula to work out the setting rather than tailored specifically to your level of health.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Haha :) Sounds like it is using standard formula to work out the setting rather than tailored specifically to your level of health.
Standard formula yes, but it does measure the HR via the hand grips, not that it's particularly scientific, it does give an idea. I also find it is only practical to hold the grips when I have it set up up to walk up hill. Running and holding hand grips doesn't really go together (unless your pushing a pram!)

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Your maximum heart rate is the highest your heart can sensibly maintain for a short period of time without causing any undue harm. This will as others have said vary from individual to individual. But your heart is capable of going a good bit higher than this for small bursts without killing you. Your own body is very good at self regulating and not letting you do things that will damage it. Should your heart rate stay too high for too long your body will warn you.

I wouldn't worry at all about numbers in the low 200 for short bursts if anything it is a good sign that your are fit and capable enough to push it that high. If it was that high climbing stairs of getting of the couch it's time too worry.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It's very hard to say as a one off... my first instinct was that yes, 210bpm is possible to achieve... certainly not common, but possible.

But then reading your comment "I felt fine..." then I'm not sure! 210bpm is a very high heart rate and you'd certainly be feeling it...

In conclusion... it could be right... it could be interference?! Sorry I can't answer you for sure! :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts