Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been getting into the swing of things and just completed my fourth run in the last fortnight of my brand new training regime - all round the same 3 mile loop. I've invested in a Polar RS100 hrm to keep me motivated and track progress.

Using the polarpersonaltrainer.com website I've set myself a 10 week plan in preparation for a 10k race in Sheffield in April - the problem I have is my heart rate! I always considered myself fairly fit, however I am having real trouble keeping the percentage under the limits set by the training plan! These are 78-85% of my max heart rate - 147-160bpm - I'm tending to end up knocking around 90% if I break into anything quicker than a gentle jog, meaning I'm completing the loop in anything from 33 down to 29 minutes.

Is this just because I am less fit than maybe I thought? Does anyone else use a heart rate monitor to train and what sort of levels/times do they tend to work to?

Reading back over the thread this seems a bit of a daft one - can anyone give me their thoughts on training in this way...?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
edgriffiths said:
Hi all,

I've been getting into the swing of things and just completed my fourth run in the last fortnight of my brand new training regime - all round the same 3 mile loop. I've invested in a Polar RS100 hrm to keep me motivated and track progress.

Using the polarpersonaltrainer.com website I've set myself a 10 week plan in preparation for a 10k race in Sheffield in April - the problem I have is my heart rate! I always considered myself fairly fit, however I am having real trouble keeping the percentage under the limits set by the training plan! These are 78-85% of my max heart rate - 147-160bpm - I'm tending to end up knocking around 90% if I break into anything quicker than a gentle jog, meaning I'm completing the loop in anything from 33 down to 29 minutes.

Is this just because I am less fit than maybe I thought? Does anyone else use a heart rate monitor to train and what sort of levels/times do they tend to work to?

Reading back over the thread this seems a bit of a daft one - can anyone give me their thoughts on training in this way...?
Is the hrm working correctly?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to be - first time I've used one... I've tested it at resting to see how it compares to traditional methods (counting my pulse!) and it seems bang on.

I'm completing the loop in approx 9 minute miles at the moment when keeping it at 85-88% of my max heart rate (160-165bpm) - I kind of think I should be up at that sort of level when pushing it more rather than restraining myself.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Looks like we're in the same boat.

I'm having exactly the same issue with my Garmin Forerunner - its tells me I'm running at 90% of my max, but I'm hardly out of breath and I can easily chat to other folk in the running club at the same time.

I've managed to identify what heart rate I can hold for different types of run and have been sticking to that, i.e. I stick around 170-175 for my midweek run and 160-165 for my long run at the weekend.

This goes against the zones that the watch sets me, however, I have been gradually speeding up over the same courses/distances while sticking to these ranges.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's reassuring I'm not the only one!

I think I would be fairly comfortable getting round at c.175bpm on my current 3 mile run - I haven't yet built a longer run into my training but will stay on the safe side around 165bpm when I do.

Another point on this one is that in the days after a 3 mile run at the lower level my legs don't ache at all - in the past when I have trained I have felt a bit of an effect - kind of good to know I've pushed myself!

Maybe all this points at upping the level a tad - I guess as I get fitter my heart rate will drop if I keep times consistent. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I can't remember all of my paces off the top of my head, but I know my long run HR tends to be around the 150bpm mark, I think 10k race pace is around the 172bpm mark, I have to be going at a pretty intense effort (e.g. all out hill repeats) to hit 90-95% of my MAX HR.

Have you ever tested yourself to find your Max HR? Actual Max HR's can vary quite a bit from the old '220 minus your age' approximation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
richardsimkiss said:
I can't remember all of my paces off the top of my head, but I know my long run HR tends to be around the 150bpm mark, I think 10k race pace is around the 172bpm mark, I have to be going at a pretty intense effort (e.g. all out hill repeats) to hit 90-95% of my MAX HR.

Have you ever tested yourself to find your Max HR? Actual Max HR's can vary quite a bit from the old '220 minus your age' approximation.
Nope - never tested it. How would I do that?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I hit my highest HR whilst doing the bleep test, though there are supposedly a number of methods of achieving the same result, I'll have a dig through any info I have and post once I get back from work :)

If you get bored though you could always scour google? (other search engines are available ;) )

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right - tried the 5k loop this evening at a pace that felt more natural and ignored the hrm to see how they related to each other. Got round in 24.56 with an average hr of 178 and a max of 190 - I'm 31 so that would make it 101% of my max heart rate!

After all the runs I've done with the hrm dictating the pace I've not really felt like I was pushing myself - this evening it felt much more like I'd actually done something.

I'm now wondering whether such shock tactics are the best thing for my body after a relatively short period training... I think I may revert back to the plan at the weekend - that is if I can move!

·
Registered
4 Posts
HR monitor - too variable ?

I have had similar problems, and have recently got a HR monitor to keep me motivated.

I do not find running easy, as I do not have a runners build (probabily more of a sprinter). I am 37,l and last week I clocked my maximum heart rate at 199. Using the formulas it would normally be around 183 - 186. So beware the formulas they are not accurate enough.

My resting heart rate is around 53. This working range l(53 to 199) looks good, but I am not fit and can only manage 8:30 min miles on a longish (10K) training run. I have been training for 6 weeks. But every couple of years I start running for a month or two. Normally in hilly Devon

Today while trying to keep a steady run at 70-80% working heart rate (i.e 156 - 170) I slowed down my usual pace and managed to keep my heart rate at an average of 173 and a max of 191.

Is my CV system a bit wierd, or do other people have similar stories ?:eek:

Any advice would be much appreciated:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nick of Bristol said:
I have had similar problems, and have recently got a HR monitor to keep me motivated.

I do not find running easy, as I do not have a runners build (probabily more of a sprinter). I am 37,l and last week I clocked my maximum heart rate at 199. Using the formulas it would normally be around 183 - 186. So beware the formulas they are not accurate enough.

My resting heart rate is around 53. This working range l(53 to 199) looks good, but I am not fit and can only manage 8:30 min miles on a longish (10K) training run. I have been training for 6 weeks. But every couple of years I start running for a month or two. Normally in hilly Devon

Today while trying to keep a steady run at 70-80% working heart rate (i.e 156 - 170) I slowed down my usual pace and managed to keep my heart rate at an average of 173 and a max of 191.

Is my CV system a bit wierd, or do other people have similar stories ?:eek:

Any advice would be much appreciated:)
I had a chat with a personal trainer that I met at a work event earlier this week who told me that the old 220 minus your age calculation is a guideline and people will be set up differently resulting in different readouts.

Since I originally posted this I have been training at normal speeds and keeping an eye on my max and average heart rates. Both have dropped quite a lot in recent weeks meaning that I can now train at my preferred intensity and maintain a comfortable heart rate.

Which HRM are you using Nick?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It is indeed a guideline, and my thoughts would be that theres more margin for error the older you are. I seem to be quite normal and fit teh rule pretty well, last year I was 23 and clocked a max HR of 197bpm.

I don't tend to watch my HR while I'm running anymore, but always check my average and max etc when I get back home and plug the Garmin into the computer :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts