Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m toying with the idea of HR training to see if it will improve my times.

I don`t really know much about how it works,so any information concerning training methods,equipment,etc would be most welcome.

If it has worked for you, I would like to know how much improvement you saw in you performances,or perhaps you tried it and it didn`t work for you.

Thanks...........

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sorry Dave, can't help you there. I've tried one but we just didn't get on well together. Living on top of the Pennines the confounded thing used to bleep it's head off every time I came to a hill and I found it impossible to keep within it's limits unless I slowed to a walk - which is not my style! Maybe an HRM is OK for track work, or for someone who lives on the flat, but when it comes to hills I think I'm the better judge of what rate I should be running at than some technological gadget. Besides, I'm all for keeping it simple, and natural.

A centipede was happy, quite, until a toad in fun
Said "Pray, which leg moves after which?"
Which raised her thoughts to such a pitch
She fell exhausted in the ditch
Not knowing how to run.

For heaven's sake Dave, just do it!
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Runningfox said:
A centipede was happy, quite, until a toad in fun
Said "Pray, which leg moves after which?"
Which raised her thoughts to such a pitch
She fell exhausted in the ditch
Not knowing how to run.

For heaven's sake Dave, just do it!
Cheers!

Love the rhyme RF.Makes the point very well.

You may well turn out to be right ,but I am just looking for a training method that may just push me on a bit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've used a HRM since I started running. I like it cos it tells me how many calories I've burned so I can calculate how many rounds of toast and peanut butter to have when I get back from a run :d

When I first used it, like RF, I found it would bleep when I didnt feel like I was running too hard, but I now have the problem that when I go for a run, it says my heart rate isnt that high but my poor little legs won't carry me any further:huh: So, it's encouraging in as much as I can see I am fitter cos my heart rate is lower and quicker to recover but not really sure where to go from there with it as far as improving training. So will be interested to see what other people think on that score!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GoSlow said:
I've used a HRM since I started running. I like it cos it tells me how many calories I've burned so I can calculate how many rounds of toast and peanut butter to have when I get back from a run :d
Sound like as good a reason as any GoSlow .Although I wouldn`t be calculating how much toast and peanut butter I could have..................................:d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Dave said:
Sound like as good a reason as any GoSlow .Although I wouldn`t be calculating how much toast and peanut butter I could have..................................:d
Dave - what's happen to the pic - you look like you've added 10 years or so !! :eek:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I was just thinking about how well he looked without the beer glass hiding his face. I use a HRM and at first it is really frustrating because it slows you down so much but I have persevered and for me its has allowed me to increase my mileage without too much injury. I tend to do my long runs at 75%, which is for me 11/12 min miles and I do wear it on club runs but I just turn off the alarm and forget about it - my WHR is usually around 85-90% on club nights.

You will need to know your maximum HR (there are formulas but are based on a generic standard) and your resting HR then you can work out your working heart rates and different percentages etc. An easy session would be 60-70% of your working HR and a hard session around 85%. HRM like polar will automatically calculate zones for you based on 220-minus age and will work out a percentage of the maximum HR, which is something different from your working HR and means you would have to walk to keep in the zone.

I think one of the main advantages it that you maintain a more steadier pace but a lot of people find them really frustrating. I've just bought a second hand Garmin Forerunner 201 so I'm going to be pretty well tooled up. I love gagets.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Granty said:
Dave - what's happen to the pic - you look like you've added 10 years or so !! :eek:
I was hoping that people would take me more seriously Granty.................:rolleyes:

Fat chance.................................:d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Steady Edwina said:
I was just thinking about how well he looked without the beer glass hiding his face.
I knew you was a woman with impecable taste SE............................ :d

Take note Granty...... :p

Thanks for the information,I will look into this further as you seem to have stuck with it and are now seeing the results.

Was the 201 an e-bay buy,or do you know of another outlet for 2nd hand goods of this type ?

Thanks again. Dave.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It was from ebay. I'm a Mac user so I've got to invest in a usb to serial converter and possibly some third party software but I'm excited about using my new toy.

Sweatshop are supposed to be selling off the Forerunner 201 for £75

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Dave said:
I knew you was a woman with impecable taste SE............................ :d

Take note Granty...... :p

Thanks for the information,I will look into this further as you seem to have stuck with it and are now seeing the results.

Was the 201 an e-bay buy,or do you know of another outlet for 2nd hand goods of this type ?

Thanks again. Dave.
I too thought the pic was great, just assumed it was Dave's older brother ! :d :p

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Granty said:
I too thought the pic was great, just assumed it was Dave's older brother ! :d :p
For a bloke with a doughnut as an avatar,you`ve got some neck having a go at me.............................................:p

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
My Avatar will be changing as soon as my '6 pack' takes shape - ...........................might be a while !

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Granty said:
My Avatar will be changing as soon as my '6 pack' takes shape

I wont hold my breath then...........................

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Looks like a bit too much pink on that top to me Dave!

Are you taking part in an invisible weightlifting competition?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My first ever finished the race T-Shirt.

Southend 10k. October 06..............:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts