Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all watches with a heart rate monitor require a HR chest strap? I tried one recently and I found it a little uncomfortable and would prefer a watch on its own. I also don't particularly want a footpod, just a watch that gives a heart rate reading, time, distance and speed.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I use an inbuilt heart rate monitor. If I can't breathe I slow down :)

With regard to distance, to measure it you will either need a GPS unit or a footpod. Try the sportband for a cheap option.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hrun said:
yes and yes

Or some people time there run and use mapmyrun to work out the distance. The rest can be calculated but it seems a lot of effort to me
Yep if you can stretch to a GPS its possible to load your run directly onto mapmyrun saves all the time trying to plot where you have been! Especially if your like me and prefer to go off the beaten track!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
there are watches that have two metal contact points on the face of the watch which you can put your fingers on and it'll tell you your heart rate, though obviously this requires you to hold your fingers on the watch... you may as well take your pulse manually! Failing that - chest straps it is I'm afraid!

Have you tried adjusted and/or perservering with the chest band? it may be a little odd at first but you should soon get used to it if fitted properly

·
Registered
10 Posts
AdamD said:
Do all watches with a heart rate monitor require a HR chest strap? I tried one recently and I found it a little uncomfortable and would prefer a watch on its own. I also don't particularly want a footpod, just a watch that gives a heart rate reading, time, distance and speed.
I am not endorsing them, because I cycle more than run, and they would get in the way, so I have not used one, but check out Mark of Fitness's strapless watches.

check out (can't post a url) aw crap!
healthchecksystems
shows what they claim to do.

If you are in the UK, they will not sell overseas. But there are other places I guess.

Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts