Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.
I'm following a program set out to me by my netball coach and it includes HR work.

I'm supposed to do 35minutes at 70% of my MHR. Which is 139bpm.

How do I ensure I keep to this?
I understand that I won't be able to keep it at 139 dead though.

Any tips?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Get a heart rate monitor with an alarm. You can set it to go off when you go above your target heart rate - then you just ease back a bit to bring it back in the right zone:)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is, I have one.
But even so my HR spikes.

And the only option is going at snails pace to get it down again.
I guess running up a hill wont really help :lol:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I stuggle to keep mine down, it might have to be a case of very fast walking?

I run with my sister a couple of times a week and she is a bit slower than me and I still average 145 HR, short of fast walking I couldn't get it any lower myself.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm no expert (I seem to be saying thata lot recently) but considering that you must be pretty fit from the netball, what will be achieved by doing 35 minutes at 70% of your maximum Heart rate??

Not doubting your coach - Just curious...:)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a 14 week program.
I've already skipped the first 3 weeks, because it was pointless.

I see your point.
I could just go to the 80% work out :lol:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
It is good for muscle recovery to do a low HR session.

I like the way you exernorate yourself SS smooth move ha ha

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Maybe I should start mine with "From what I have read" cause that's where I get my info from, Bob Glover is a great source of information.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Ok, this may be a silly question, but I've never paid much attention to heart rate before. How do you know what your maximum heart rate is so you know what 70% of it should be etc? I know what my resting heart rate is. Do you calculate maximum based on this?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Min heart rate will change massively depending on fitness levels etc, Max HR will always be the same regardless of you fitness level.

There's various formula's to provide an estimate of you Max HR, but they can easily be out - if your Max HR is way off, it's very eay to be doing a 65% workout when you think you're doing a 70% workout, or vice versa! Only way to truely get a good idea of your Max HR is to perform a Max HR test - there's a few different things you can do but it's basically a case of "run until you drop". Not a pleasant experience! I believe the calculations based on your age are slightly more accurate for younger people as there's less margin for error.

If you're trying to keep to a certain HR range then the key is to make small changes in pace - One of the easiest things to do is think "ooh my HR is too high, I need to slow down" so you slow down too much, then your HR drops too low, so you speed up... too much again... take into account whether you're running on the flat, or up/down a hill/slope... Minor changes in perceived pace can have quite an effect on your HR.

btw TT, the "From what I have read" line is already a registered TM of mine :p

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
drats Richard, in that case I will start mine with "FACT:" ha ha see where that gets me :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts