Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just quick a question.. Im just getting into running and im using the book 'Ironfit secrets' and their heart rate method of training. For the first 8 weeks it recommends training in zone 2, which for me as a 37 year old man is roughly
137 to 155bpm. I can just about stay in this zone if I walk quite fast, but I go over if I start to jog. Which im told is fine as ive only just started. Ive been researching this low bpm method of training and theres also a formula by Phil Maffetone, which would make my maximum heart rate 138, making the training range 128-138bpm. Is it worth going that low? or should I stick with the 137 to 155. Thanks for any input
Regards
Mike

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just a quick answer: as mentioned in other threads you need to know your true personal HR max before getting into zones. Any formulas based on age work for a population only (at best) and do not work for you.

·
4,257 Posts
As Steve says, there is no 'One size fits all' method for obtaining your individual HR(max) and therefore your HR zones.
Do you calculate your HR zones from HR(max) or HR(reserve) ?
There are also many factors that will affect your heart rate, dehydration, hot weather, infection, fatigue etc. I find running at Perceived effort can be beneficial.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just used the 220 - my age for the first ones and the maffetone formula 180 - age -10. But I think Ill do some hill sprints the weekend and get a more accurate number

1 - 6 of 6 Posts