Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 48 and have been running for two years now. I have a Garmin Forerunner 30 watch which measures my heart rate. Generally the heart rate seems accurate, as it's generally around 60 at rest. However I've noticed something strange. When I do really fast 5Ks (say 21/22 mins) my ave heart rate is usually around 140pm although I'm pretty much flat out at this pace and couldn't physically go faster. However when I do slower runs my heart rate goes up?! Sometimes up to 170/180pm. Occasionally there is a direct link between my effort and the heart rate but just as often it is the other way round.
Also yesterday I went on a slow 15K and when I stopped after 8k my ave heart rate was showing as 183! Recently it's been between 140-150 for similar runs. However I didn't feel any different, it didn't feel like my heart was popping out of my chest and I could have easily upped the speed, but at 183 this scared me a little so I slowed down.
Is this normal or is my Garmin malfunctioning?

·
4,335 Posts
You can get a discrepancy like this if you are not fully recovered from your previous training session. Also I find that a chest strap tends to give more accurate results than the wrist based ones.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wrist based hrm's can be very unreliable, my suspicion is that it depends on your wrist bone and vein structure. I found I had to tighten the wrist strap so tight the blood almost stopped flowing! Agree with @double5 that a chest strap is very much better, though I do have to put gel on the contacts before I run, as I am not sufficiently sweaty for at least 3km!

I use mafetone so heart rate is important to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts