Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I thought I'd pop in and say hi.

I have just started running (2 months now) and I have signed up for a 5km event at the end of September. (Think I have gone mad!)

Katie

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome!
Good for you!
I trust the training is going well. How much do you do and do you vary your sessions?
What event have you entered?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve

I have entered a 5km around Battersea Park in London for trees for citites.

I have bee running about 5 times a week and upping the milage from nothing to 2 miles. Then I had a foot injury which has taken me down to 3 times a week. :( So I am concentrating on increasing my distance to 3 miles and running 5 times a week again.

At the moment my sessions are run/walk, increasing the run and decreasing the walk periods. I tend to run around the local lake, and then sometimes of my friends running machine or with my friend near her house (about once a fortnight.)

I went to get fit and be able to run the whole distance without stopping, no matter how slow! :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Don't worry about how fast you are...most important thing is to get round the course and enjoy the event.That way, hopefully, you'll be bitten by the bug and will want to keep it up.

Your sessions at the moment are good. Try to add some variety in the pace by adding a sprint or 2 to your runs...not too far..say from one lamp post to the next followed by a a walk to the next one and a sprint to the next one. You don't need to increase the distance you are doing at this stage but being able to run, however slowly, 3m before the race will give you confidence on race day.

You'll soon be giving a certain Paula a race I'm sure!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the support :)

I havent added much variety yet, but I plan too.

When I run with my friend, since we are both very competitive we sprint the last bit to her house. It always kills me though! (and I have yet to win - but I will one day!)

Fingers crossed Thursday when I run with her again we will do 3 miles. :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Competitive spirit is good...don't pull a hammy though when racing to the front door!

All the best for a 3 miler tomorrow...I'm sure you'll do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he he

I did it! I did the 5km and in 38minutes. Its the first time I have ever done 5km before. I still had to stop and walk a few times. And my calf muscles got very tight and sore. But overall I feel great - and I even sprinted at the end! :d

Thank you for the support

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's a great feeling. Well done. I achieved the 5km mark on Tuesday this week for the first time too, and have repeated it on Thursday, and plan to do it again later today (maybe intermixed with a little speed work, or upto 5.5km or 6km). Thay say not more than 10% increase per week.

What a feeling!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Karen - well done!

I am planning to repeat it today - I hope you had a good run yesterday.

:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well done the pair of you!

Keep up the good work but don't increase distance/speed too much too soon. 10% increase in distance per week is right with your longest run also not increasing by more than 10%.

Next target a 5 miler?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I haven't been in any races yet, and can't find any local to me of a 5k distance, so I think I'll hang in there with the racing until next year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the race is my motivation to go training. that and everyone at work knows, so i have to be ready for the race.

the race is a sponsored one, but i guess i need to start looking for some local 5km races. i think the guys at work will get fed up of sponsoring me. ;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
No need to be scared firekat.....you can do it as you know. Just make sure you get to the event in plenty of time so that you can savour the atmosphere. Just take it easy at the start and don't be tempted to go off too quick.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats is my biggest problem - i start too fast! :embarrassed: can someone remind me before the start :p

i have to be there at 9am - i hate early mornings as it is (9am is considered early by me) and i have to travel to south london for the run. oh well.

i am looking forward to it though.......

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Just start at the back and let everyone charge off...after a while, if you run your own race, you'll begin to reel in those who thought they could run like Linford!

You'll enjoy it..honest!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts