Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
In a moment of madness my fiance and I signed up for this years Great North Run in an attempt to get fit and be nice and slim for our wedding next year. I have never run before nor played sports so I am super unfit. We were given a 16 week beginners training guide by the GNR people which we started yesterday. Our first task was to run gently for 10 minutes. I had to stop after 2 which really shocked me!! I kept at it but ended up only being able to run for a minute at a time before needing a rest. Given my disastrous start, am I kidding myself to believe I will be able to attempt a half a marathon on 30th September?
Looking forward to hearing your views
Sinead x

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF where we are all crazy!

You have given yourself a bit of a task if you are a complete novice BUT you certainly have enough time to get fit enough to do GNR.

You need to take things nice and easy to start with...build up slowly and don't go too fast. If you have to stop and walk for a bit then so be it.

Try to find a park to run in so you can run on grass so as to lessen the impact on your knees.

Visit a proper running sports shop to get yourself fitted running shoes that are right for you. The cost is worth it in the long run...excuse the pun!

Once you have got used to running and are able to run without stopping for say 30mins try to find a local running, not athletic, club to join. You could approach a club earlier of course but most new runners seem to want be able to run first before joining a club.

Try to keep to the schedule but don't get fixated by it. If you have to miss a run don't worry...we all miss training sessions every now and then.

Tell your mates/family you are doing the GNR.....that'll get you out training!

Finally, for now, keep posting here on a regular basis...we'll keep you going!!

All the best.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It helps to be mad around here - don't worry when I started running I couldn't run for more than a minute either. I found it useful to follow a walk run plan so have a look at www.runinjuryfree.com for alternative training plans.

I've been running for a year and I'm doing my first half at the end of this month.

·
Registered
123 Posts
you're definatley not the only mad onearound here.
I started in December and couldn't even run a minute i was like SE and followed a run walk programme. I am doing the Plymouth half in a few weeks, i managed 12 miles this weekend. Still have to walk every now and then but i will get there and i'm sure so will you.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi MrsM Welcome to the forum, best of luck with your training, you will be surprised how quickly you both come along running is very progressive.

I am also doing the GNR and really looking forward to it :d

TT

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
You'll have no problem at all, your senerio is not disimilar to mine when I started out with this lark (all for a bet as well !! :d )

It;s good that you have someone to train with as well, help keep the motivation up. Just keep it steady, don't over exert yourself at the beginning and above all ENJOY.

My brother is currently starting out and employs a run / walk technique which he swears by.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Mrs M - welcome to the forum.

Don't think you are crazy (well not any crazier than the rest of us ;-))

Like you, 10 weeks ago I could only run for a couple of minutes at a time and have gradually built it up and last weekend was able to run (albeit slowly) my first 10k race without stopping.

I am guessing your plan is to finish the GNR rather than to do it any particular time so think you will be fine. Entering a race and telling people you are doing it is great motivation to keep at it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
No idea how crazy you are as I'm just starting out myself but good luck! Great North Run made me feel really nostalgic as I grew up in town called Guisborough then moved to Newcastle for a couple of years before moving to the 'softy south' Gloucestershire!! BEST OF LUCK:d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts