Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've recently started running again after a 17 year absence :eek:
I used to do a lot of running at school, but then became a very lazy bee from uni onwards.

Over the last couple of years started cycling into work most days (28 mile round trip), and that got me back on the track towards fitness. Missed a lot of cycling at the start of the year due to my bike being goosed (scottish winters are not very good for bikes when you don't keep 'maintaining' them regularly).

In April I decided that I wanted to run the London Marathon, but would rather have a good attempt at it so I am not aiming for next year but the following year (the 30th London Marathon).

I've had a very frustrating start to my renewed interest in running with a recurring injury half-way between my knee and ankle just below the calf muscle itself. I've had to lay off for a couple weeks at time 3 times already since I started at the beginning of May. However I have now started to build things up slowly and (touch wood) I've not been having any problems with the calf for almost a month.

My longest run to date is 9.3 miles (with no ill-effects from my calf :) ), and on distances of 10K I am averaging 7:30 per mile. I have entered the Glasgow 10K on 7th Sept and am keen to put a first time in to then work towards beating it next time ;)
I invested in a Garmin 305 and think it is a brilliant piece of kit as its great for both running and cycling.

My cycling has meant I am not starting from scratch fitness wise, and I am still cycling to work as well as running. I am 34, 5ft 11 and 14s 4 (put on a few pounds after being off the bike for a few months at the start of the year), my resting heart rate is down to 40 and max is 204 (you can tell I am enjoying the Garmin!).

Anyway - I stumbled across the forums tonight and thought I'd join and say hi rather than just lurk and read.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi Badz,
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Scot :) You can join the 305 club as well (look in the GPS section of the site!).
Good on you for getting back in to running, sounds like youre doing well. This forum is really friendly with lots of people who can give you advice if required, its also a great place for motivation for days when you just don't have the energy to go running.

I was looking at doing the Glasgow race next month but I am in France instead, hope to do it next year though.

All the best,
O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Badz

Welcome to RF :d

Don't just lurk join in :)

TT

·
Registered
131 Posts
welcome to the forum . the more of us glaswegians the better. whereabouts in glasgow are you?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thnx guys,

The forums do look very friendly and informative which was why I signed up rather than just lurk.
Nick - I'm actually from just outside Glasgow - Dumbarton (14 miles west of Glasgow), but I thought that not many people would recognise it so plumbed for Glasgow instead ;)

Haven't had enough time to read through much yet - but will deffo join the 305 club :p

·
Registered
131 Posts
cool, i'm in the west end but i've done the Dumbarton 10k twice as part of the polaroid 10k series. have you done any of those ones?

good luck on the 7th. i'm doing the half marathon. very slowly!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did do the Dumbarton 10K once - but it was way back in 1990 so not recently no.

I haven't done any races since catching the bug again - the Glasgow 10K in a couple of weeks will be the first. I will deffo get involved in next years Dumbarton 10K - may even do the series.

As for the Glasgow half marathon - I'll hopefully tackle that next year, but its came a bit too early in my injury-interrupted training to make a decent attempt at it this time around

Am looking forward to the 10K though - all the best with the half!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts