Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I've been running for a while now, but thought id join the forum as ive always wanted to get involved more.

I've always ran to keep my level of fitness at a fairly good standard along with gym training 3 times a week, i did my first ever 10k last september and even though i didnt get a brilliant time (1.01) i felt so proud of myself just to finish, Ive upped my game a bit since then and gone in feet first and doing the great north run in 6 weeks, due to one thing or another i havent done as much training as i would have hoped for, hence why i joined the forum for advice on my training as i dont want to increase my miles too quickly as i dont want to injure myself. again im not hoping for a really quick finishat the gnr just as long as i can get round the course comfortably! the main thing i struggle with is my breathing really, sounds daft i know but i forget to breathe!

Long term wise i would love to work my way up to a marathon, but just don't know how at the mo! I'd really like to know how to take it to the next level, whether it's just a case of getting the miles in, eating more of the right things, or maybe if theres a better time of day to train (i usually go out straight after work) any hints or tips would be great!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Cooey Sharee we meet again....

Well done for putting in for the GNR .. should be a experience with great atmosphere.

Well when i aimed for my first half (think i did ten mile race before that) i did two runs during the week then a long one the weekend upping my mileage roughly by one mile each week, sometimes during the week i would add a mile on if i had time. at the end of the upping i could run 13-14 miles no problem (maybe a breather for bit)

Dont be ashamed if you have to walk bits, plenty of people do near the end etc, even if its for half a min it can help you to get through it till the finish line.

I go to the gym in between too. i walk on the highest incline for 30 mins to build up my stamina and leg muscles, i do bike for bit and rower, this helps with my stamina lots, i do some weights for my shoulders and arms too because they can ache on long runs.

I have heard its better to train in the evening as you have more energy (i can only run this time as i work full time) and i get up at 6 so i am not getting up any earlier. :p

As for eating i am not the best eater, but on race days i have porridge (slow release energy) complete with a bit of toast and maybe a sports drink and water.

I often just before a run have a flapjack that gives you energy also.

The breathing will come maybe you are going off too fast..... it takes time for my breathing to settle normally first two miles.

Anyway you will love your first Half i did i was so frilled i got round and in a fairly decent time for my first :p

GOOD LUCK :p

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi Sharee,
I could have sworn that I wrote a welcome message already on this thread to you, oh well, must just be having one of my moments :)

Welcome to RF!

O.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi to Owain and Leece, thanks for the welcoming messages, hopefully this forum is just what i need to keep my motivation going for my training...watch this space :rolleyes:

Leece- its a shame we dont live closer, i could do with a training partner like you to keep me going! x

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
This forum is great for motivation because you know after a good run you can come back here and chat about it :) Even if its just a 1 mile run but you feel great after it or even if you struggled, everyone here is really friendly and always looking for an excuse not to work :)

All the best with your training, a good feature that I mention to people is the training blog on this forum, its found under the "other" link at the top of the screen. You can keep a note of how your runs went and then over weeks, months, years :) you can look back and see how you have improved.

O.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
AWWW thanks Sharee, yeah would be nice for me also. :) Hugs

Dont forget if you have a bad day, dont get disheartened, i did and ended up dreading the next run, brush it aside and start a fresh the next day.

:p

Got myself a half in October so we can share training tips

Only been running myself since October 2007 Sharee :)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
runningfox is that you talking :s

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
oh ha ha i thought someone then hacked into your account

SORRY Running.

I get you now ha ha, me being a londoner never understood the lingo then... but if i talk in yorkshire accent (try) it sounds better.

:lol:

Blimey that is fast Sharee, 5 miles in 30 mins :| lol you should be giving me tips

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
'Ere, owd on a minute, av just bin lookin at thi training blog and it sez tha ran 5 miles in 30 minutes. That's faster na me! Can't be hevving that, sorry. Tha't banned!
Cheers!
Have just had a look at BB's times...5k in 37mins...not 5m in 30mins.

Welcome to RF btw Sharee.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
eh by gum.

:) oops you got me there, minor spelling error there, 5 in 30 mins i wish?? you still up for giving me tips leece?? love hugs x btw- just to prove im a typical yorkshire lass i go running wi my flat cap on thee knos!! hee hee x

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
'Ere, owd on a minute, av just bin lookin at thi training blog and it sez tha ran 5 miles in 30 minutes. That's faster na me! Can't be hevving that, sorry. Tha't banned!
Cheers!
In 1993 you ran 10 miles in 1.00.53, so you must have run at least one of the 5 mile splits in 30 minutes. You cunning fox :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Sharee. New to the forum myself and everyone's already been great and very quick to help!

Doing the GNR myself, it'll be my third year running. Done a few runs over the last couple of years and after the London Marathon, nothing compared to the atmosphere up there, sure you'll love it! Good luck with the training.

Ollie

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Ollie, welcome to the forum too, nice to meet a fellow newbie! its great on here isnt it? its just what i need, wow your 3rd GNR fantastic! and also london marathon?, im working up to that...one day ill be good enough! take care Sharee x:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
:) oops you got me there, minor spelling error there, 5 in 30 mins i wish?? you still up for giving me tips leece?? love hugs x btw- just to prove im a typical yorkshire lass i go running wi my flat cap on thee knos!! hee hee x
AWWWWWWWW always hun

:p

[email protected] flatcap my dad used to wear one of them :huh::|

1 - 20 of 25 Posts