Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I joined the gym about 11 months ago and have been increasing my running on the treadmill since mid April 06. I am running a Half marathon on the 08 October 06. I am able to run on the treadmill for 60 minutes (varied resistance and also interval training). I also use the cross trainers and weights etc. I have been for two road runs so far and don't feel that i'm doing as well or can run as far (not helped by the hot weather I think). I need to do most of my preparation on the treadmill. Can anyone give me any helpful hints of how I can get the most out of my work out on the treadmill? Also any helps on how I can get into the "zone" so to speak with the road running? Does anyone think that a half marathon is achievable by October? I was feeling pretty good about my running at the gym but am feeling a bit demoralized having only been able to run on the road for 25 minutes!! I've heard people say that treadmill training is not useful for long distance training? Help!!:confused:

Any helpful hints would be great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi! Im not an expert but i hear that running on the treadmill isnt a good form of regular training for road running because you arent actually doing much work yourself as the treadmill is the thing thats moving at speed, all you have to do is simply move your feet in time and dont need to push off with your feet to go forwards. Know what im trying to say?
i wouldve thought that is why when you went out to run on the road, the time you could run constantly for was decreased quite significantly. I find the treadmill is good for practicing speedwork and things but really getting out there and practicing on the roads is much much better and more beneficial.
keep up the motivation and keep going out and running on the roads! :)

ps, i did my first half marathon back in April and had only been running for about a year before hand. The most id ever ran on the roads was 7 miles.....a week before i was to do it!!!
So, yes. With regular training a half marathon will be achievable by October. And you'll probably be quite surprised by what time you run it in too!!! Good luck in advance on that one!

·
Registered
220 Posts
October will be no problem if you carry on training. Make sure you get yourself a training plan - this will take the guesswork out and will ensure you vary your sessions so don;t get bored.
As for training on a treadmill, the consensus is that road running is more difficult. Most people also find it more enjoyable and less boring. I would really encourage you to run on the road as much as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greg said:
October will be no problem if you carry on training. Make sure you get yourself a training plan - this will take the guesswork out and will ensure you vary your sessions so don;t get bored.
As for training on a treadmill, the consensus is that road running is more difficult. Most people also find it more enjoyable and less boring. I would really encourage you to run on the road as much as possible.
Hi, I'm new to running as well and found your comments very helpful and informative. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
8 October?

Immigration1 - if you have an ipod or mp3 player, try downloading the Phedippidations podcast. They are running a world wide half marathon on 8 October and have lots of training advice and everyone is running on the same weekend - all over the world!

Where are you running on 8 October? I've signed up for the Henley half on the day.

Regards, Drusy

·
Registered
220 Posts
tony phelps said:
Hi, I'm new to running as well and found your comments very helpful and informative. Thanks
No prob Tony. Happy to help. Ask away - if I can't answer there are plenty of people on here who can!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have faith!

Hi,

With over 3 months left to go, you should have plenty of time to train yourself up to running a half. The base that you have developed already is great grounding for the next 3 months. I suggest you find yourself a beginner training programme (asics, adidas and runners world all have good training programmes online) and plan out your next 3 months to understand what you need to do between now and race day.

There are loads of mental strategies you can apply to help you to achieve your goal, but for you, I think the first one you should adopt is to have belief in yourself - think how far you have come already and the challenge you have set yourself. Most people who are phyiscally fit should be able to complete a 1/2 marathon. The only thing that sets people apart from the 'ones that do' and the 'ones that dont', is focus, dedication and belief that they can do it - put yourself in the former camp!

Good luck and enjoy the training in this glorious sunshine!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts