Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just to introduce myself - I have been running since about March, having entered several 10k events this year. I am on course for doing a half marathon in the Autumn.

Looking forward to getting some advice and finding out all the blister goss!

Question - how do you deal with a fellow runner, who has a serious ailment/affliction before every race - but manages to push up ahead of you every time (at which point my pace seems to slow!) They then revert to complaining about it again as soon as the race is over!! (Like - cheers - rub it in that you did better - and you did it with a 'broken toe') As I am training really hard but this is always the case I am starting to enter different races so I cant even see them as it affects my performance - but no doubt there will be races that come up where they are there.

Am I over-sensitive, over-competitive, or are they playing mind-games, or just a major hypocondriac? Should I talk to them about it? How do I not let this bother me!? Is this a problem other runners have had with running companions? The last race was almost like a scene out of Run-Fat Boy-Run - where we kept overtaking each other (its getting embarrassing) I don't want this to kill our friendship - but not sure what to do?!?

Advise!

Sweaty Betty!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
It would seem that your friend is suffering from F1 driver syndrome - getting all their excuses in before the race just in case they do badly. I don't think they are playing mind games with you but they may be overly competitive and a poor loser. By letting you know about every little thing that's wrong, they have something to fall back on if they do badly.

I would take this one of two ways:
  1. the nice way - sympathise with your friend and just settle with the fact that they are always going to be this way
  2. the evil way :evil: - out "injure" your "friend". By out bidding your "friend" in injury stakes (if they've got a pulled muscle, you've torn yours; if they've broke a toe, your foots fell off etc...), you can then destroy them in the race and take the pi$$ out of them for letting someone with your ailment beat them; the loser!! And then laugh and do a bit of a victory dance to rub it in their face.

You can probably see that I'd go for option two. Actually I'd go a step further and get them to register on this forum and post an entire thread on how you were awesome and they were a complete waste of time.

And if they beat you? Blame the "injury" - they would.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats brilliant!! I better not over-act and convince myself I have something though - otherwise it could be worse for my mental state! :)

You may have noticed I did not give the gender of this person away and I have been very cautious about what I say about myself - as a newbie to the site, I didn't know if the 'fellow runner' already uses it, and recognised me! But I don't care now - I'm gonna post, post, post!

·
Registered
131 Posts
same name as as girl i used to know at the hacienda back in 1990. i hope for your health's sake that the reason for your sweating isn't the same as hers.....

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clarify - no medical sweat condition

I don't teach Chemistry and my name isn't even Betty! I thought the name would be apt as I do sweat when running - although ironically it tends to be more when I am doing 'easy pace' runs (fat burn?) than the full on race pace 10 milers! The washing machine is on - a lot!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think m4tty hit the nail on the head. Your friend wants an excuse to fall back on in case you beat her/him. It's a good little insurance policy against feeling bad if you come in first. Develop some ailments of your own asap!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts