Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! :) I stumbled across this forum quite by accident whilst browsing for some past results and immediately liked the friendly atmosphere. So after a disappointing 6 mile road race this morning I thought I'd join as I think being a member of a running forum is sure to inspire and encourage, what with me becoming a little half hearted with it all as of late.

I've been running since late 1994, primarily to lose weight and be more healthy but soon got into the competitive side of things. I've always been dogged by setbacks, i.e. illness and injury just as I'm getting to some sort of form but I always try to bounce back undeterred.

A major influence is my Dad who was a top club runner in the 1980's who even recently was scooping prizes in the V50 and V55 categories.

My proudest running moment was doing the 2006 Bramley 20 mile road race where I ran 1:56 coming 9th and taking the team prize back up north. My biggest disaster was the 2006 London Marathon where I fell at 18 miles, smashing my knees and splitting my elbow resulting in lots of blood and retiring from the race.

I'm 35, married with two daughters and live just outside Manchester.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
WELCOME TO THE FORUM !!

It's good to have you on board !

How about getting dad on the forum his experience would be appreciated!

Take it easy;)
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Cheriton, thanks for the reply; I'd ask him to have a look but he's a reluctant user of the internet, only using it to buy things and rarely send emails. He's also anti social! :d

A.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
Welcome Andrew.

There are certainly some impessive times in your profile.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,089 Posts
Hi! As Dave says, certainly an impressive list of PB's to your name - how do they compare to current performance levels? (I mean are the PB's recent or years ago...?)

Great to have you on the forum anyhow - I'll certainly be watching your posts with interest as hopefully i'll be somewhere near those PB's in a year or so - assuming I have a good year without injuries etc! :d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,654 Posts
Welcome Andrew........no doubt you can pass on a few wise tips bearing in mind your times!
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
richardsimkiss said:
Hi! As Dave says, certainly an impressive list of PB's to your name - how do they compare to current performance levels? (I mean are the PB's recent or years ago...?)

Great to have you on the forum anyhow - I'll certainly be watching your posts with interest as hopefully i'll be somewhere near those PB's in a year or so - assuming I have a good year without injuries etc! :d
Hello again and thanks for the kind comments;

The PB's were from 2003 onwards when I really decided to knuckle down as it were. 2003 saw me training twice per day doing approx 60 - 75 miles per week, dropping lots of weight and running fairly well. I lost a bit of form shortly after and then in late 2005 there was a spare London Marathon entry going at the club. I decided to enter and trained like a mad man reaching a peak of 85 miles p/w. One week before my failure at London I ran the Salford 10k in 33:30 but I don't count that as a PB as it was slightly short due to roadworks. After the disappointment of London I let myself go and didn't do anything for about a month and even contemplated packing in the sport altogether. I returned to the sport and even though I still try to train hard I've never been anywhere near the form that I was back then. Yesterday, I ran the Lostock 6 in 35:48 and yet in 2004 I ran it in 32:46.

I need to be more disciplined and lose the weight as our club coach described me as 'chunky' at yesterday's race. (cheeky b******d!)

Cheers,

A.:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,089 Posts
Well from the looks of things your current times would still be envied by the vast majority of this forum! Great to hear that you've started to get back into the swing of things having nearly given up altogether! :eek:

Although a league behind you in times I feel your pain in terms of needing to lose the extra poundage, and yes, probably a little more discipline too :embarrassed: How much are you weighing in at currently in relation to your height? (I don't hold back with the q's do I? lol)

I'm 12st 9lbs at the moment and 5'11" - I would say I was probably far from being fat, but a long way off a weight that would ideally suit long distance running!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
Hi Welcome to RF

you should not be jacking running in, your race times are great.

TT :d
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
richardsimkiss said:
Well from the looks of things your current times would still be envied by the vast majority of this forum! Great to hear that you've started to get back into the swing of things having nearly given up altogether! :eek:

Although a league behind you in times I feel your pain in terms of needing to lose the extra poundage, and yes, probably a little more discipline too :embarrassed: How much are you weighing in at currently in relation to your height? (I don't hold back with the q's do I? lol)

I'm 12st 9lbs at the moment and 5'11" - I would say I was probably far from being fat, but a long way off a weight that would ideally suit long distance running!
No worries Richard, I don't mind admitting my weight. I'm 5' 6" and 10.5 stone.

Yesterday, our coach said that to do the time I did whilst carrying that amount of weight was good going. As you can gather, he's a master of the back handed compliment!

So in running terms I'm out of shape but I still slide quite comfortably into 30" trousers and size small clothing!

For now! :d

A. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Hello from one new member to another. I've already spent hours browsing previous threads on this forum and can't believe how much info there is though I can see that you are way more experienced than me so probably a lot will be old news to you- I'm relatively new to running and enjoying all the stuff I am finding out.

What I will say is that it seems a really friendly forum and I am really glad I stumbled across it too.

Karen :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,185 Posts
andrew_n said:
No worries Richard, I don't mind admitting my weight. I'm 5' 6" and 10.5 stone.

Yesterday, our coach said that to do the time I did whilst carrying that amount of weight was good going. As you can gather, he's a master of the back handed compliment!

So in running terms I'm out of shape but I still slide quite comfortably into 30" trousers and size small clothing!

For now! :d

A. :)
I'm the same height as you, but about 3 stone heavier.:eek: I wouldn't like to think what compliments I'd get from your coach!!

Welcome to the forum! :)
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JamboKaren said:
Hello from one new member to another. I've already spent hours browsing previous threads on this forum and can't believe how much info there is though I can see that you are way more experienced than me so probably a lot will be old news to you- I'm relatively new to running and enjoying all the stuff I am finding out.

What I will say is that it seems a really friendly forum and I am really glad I stumbled across it too.

Karen :)
Hello Karen,

Despite being a runner since 1994, I'm sure much of the info on here will be of great interest to me. I'm always open to finding out others' training methods and giving them a go. After all, I can be a stubborn git, get set in my ways and maybe if I try what works for somebody else, it will bring improvements to my times.

You're right, this does seem a friendly forum and not cliquey like so many others.

Regards,

A. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
andrew_n said:
Hello everyone! :)

A major influence is my Dad who was a top club runner in the 1980's who even recently was scooping prizes in the V50 and V55 categories.
Hi Andrew, reading your opening post, its quite possible that I may have run against your dad at some point in the 80's, as I used to live in Lancashire. I know he's older than me, but I started young, so there may have been a couple of years when our paths crossed. :)
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pedestrian said:
Hi Andrew, reading your opening post, its quite possible that I may have run against your dad at some point in the 80's, as I used to live in Lancashire. I know he's older than me, but I started young, so there may have been a couple of years when our paths crossed. :)
Hello,

Yeah, my Dad did many races in the 80's and most of the 90's as a vet so I'm sure you will have raced against him. I don't want to mention his name on a public forum as I don't think he'd be comfortable with it but a bit of detective work from my posts and looking at past online results will give you his name if you're interested. ;)

A :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Hi there - I am new to this forum too - recieved great advice and everyone is friendly. I have to agree with everyone else - I will be looking to you for advice - read my entries now!!!!!!! Only joking - your times are great - beyond my dreams! Never give up though - running offers alot more than beating your own time....but having said that I am becoming a time freak! Look forward to reading your posts:d
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top