Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i thought id introduce myself, im jem, a student from the greater manchester area and iv'e been running only as a means of keeping general fitness however im gradually picking up the pace and looking to join a running club, ive never raced or been a member of a club before, and look forwad to talking to like minded athletes, i am by no means and expert and aware i could be do things wrong from time to time, thats were you lot come in..lol

jem:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi thanks for that, i have been looking into quite a few clubs in my area i managed to get quite a list from the uk athletics site, a few i have found are wilmslow running club, stockort harriers, and i am right in between manchester harriers & athletic club and sale harriers, both tracks listed are the same distance away just in different directions now the next stage is finding the confidence to join in, i wouldnt want to be left at the starting line...lol.. only kidding im looking forward to finding running partners. it might encourage me to brave those cold wintery evenings instead of relying on my treadmill. By the way is there any tips for making sure i chose the right club?

jem

·
Registered
105 Posts
find out when their club nights are and at what time they run - that might restrict your options. then try a couple and see how welcoming they are, the right one will probably pick itself. depends on your level as to which will otherwise be best for you, sometimes the smaller clubs can be friendlier and more running than athletics orientated.

my mum lives in sale and i pass the wythenshaw park and sale stadia regularly on my runs when i visit. enjoy the mersey paths and bridgewater canal, they are great running corriders.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jem, most clubs let you go along for a few weeks to try things out, without commiting to joining. Try a few for a couple of weeks and see what you are most comfortable with, also check their websites to see what they offer.

DON'T have any reservations about joining, I delayed and delayed joining and when I did it was the best thing that I had done. You won't be the slowest, the last, the odd one out or anything like that ..... go and join now :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
jemmalou said:
Hi i thought id introduce myself, im jem, a student from the greater manchester area and iv'e been running only as a means of keeping general fitness however im gradually picking up the pace and looking to join a running club, ive never raced or been a member of a club before, and look forwad to talking to like minded athletes, i am by no means and expert and aware i could be do things wrong from time to time, thats were you lot come in..lol

jem:)
Jemma,
you could also join Team COCO, the running club set up by Steve Cram to help raise funds for Comrades Of Children Overseas - the Newcastle-based childrens charity. Its for new and experienced runners alike (I've only just starting running myself) and there are a range of benefits including:
· A high-quality running vest emblazoned with the Team COCO logo
· Access to the Team COCO online forum with a members’ message board and training advice
· A regular e-newsletter detailing running events and keeping you up-to-date with COCO’s work with children overseas
· Discounted entry fees for most UK running events and BIG discounts for events such as the Bristol Half Marathon
· The chance to get one of our priority places in big events such as the London Marathon and the Great North Run
· The chance to run with world record-breaker Steve Cram

Its not really an alternative to a local running club but its a great secondary club and is particularly useful if you want to compete in big UK runs of overseas runs such as the Kilimanjaro marathon. you can find out more at the COCO website www.coco.org.uk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts