Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My name is Paul and I am into keep fit, gym, weight training, etc. About 20 years ago I had a superb state of fitness as I used to endurance race karts and had a keen interest in weight lifting. Well I over done it and got a hernia in the groin and promtly stopped the lot. I never really got back into it again untill about a year ago.

I was leaning down strapping down a car on our rolling road one day and found it a struggle to get up. This sort of thing kinda creeps up on you over the years and I remembered how fit and agile I used to be and doing something like strapping a car down would never have been a struggle... atall. As I am approaching 40 I thought I really must do something about it while I can.

A call to my old presonal trainer had me training with her again 3 times a week. For the first couple of weeks, I was shocked by how much my stamina and strength had deteriorated. Hey, I'm a mechanic, lifting heavy stuff around being very active and on my feet all day long, but with only being 5'8" and 15stone with just over 30% body fat (I seemed to hide that extremely well) I was kidding myself.

Progress has come along way. My HR raises much slower, stays lower and recovers much better now. I feel much better also and my body fat is hovering around the still high 21-23%. My weight has also hovered around the 14stone mark now. Because I seem to have plataued I have taken up running over the last couple of months.

Again, I was suprised how hard the 4.5 miles were and how heavy I felt. I took a 4 mile run with my trainer and initially I felt comfortable over the first mile, but I soon tightened up, I rested a few times to stretch as I was having lower back pain and pain in my glutes which suggested maybe I wasn't keeping my posture right and also my ham strings were tight. My knees also took a pounding which also confirms I need to loose more weight. During this first run, my trainer decided to see what I was made of and after 2 miles of running told me to do some interval stuff.... Sprint 100 m then walk 200 m, repeat 10 times. I only managed 6! But I was impressed with my sprint speed with my trainer just about keeping up for the first few sprints.

Boy, after that training session, didn't I pay the price with my quads! :( It took about 2 weeks for them to recover. Any awkward movement would hurt them again.

I havn't repeated that program since, but I intend to soon. Instead, I ran 2 mile runs with a couple of stops for rest/recovery. I kept this up over the last few weeks untill I was able to run the whole 2 miles (WOW :d ) with no stop. This I done in 16/17 minutes, which I am pleased with. My knees felt good too, although I have had sharp pains now and again in them from time to time for a few days after the run. This has been getting better. On the back of that, I decided to go for the 4.5mile run again. I decided to run at a slower pace and managed 4 miles in 43/44 minutes when I stopped to rest my lower back. My back was hurting as I was hauling alot of weight around earlier that day and I really should have rested it before the run. I walked the last half mile.

I was encouraged that I suffered no problems atall after that run and also I had the feeling of being able to run forever.

The only problem I find when running on my own is that I tend to want to run too fast. I kinda feel intimidated as others can see me lol. I know that shouldnt affect anything, and its something I have almost overcome.

My goal is to run a half marathon in a pretty quick time and to use running to build stamina.

I hope thats a good insight to my training and what I am about. Any comments or recomendations would be greatly recieved :d

Paul.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have a harsh trainer. The key I think to running is to build distance at a rate that doesn't punish your body and then work on pace.

It could also be good to keep up the other training to build stamina without overdoing the mileage.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hey and welcome to RF :) I'll be moving to just down the road from you in Bath v soon!

Sounds like you're already making steady progress. Don't push yourself too hard or run through any serious niggles, build up your mileage gradually and I'm sure you'll get to where you want to be! Try to resist the urge to run too quickly; if you're looking to build up stamina then long, slow runs are what you should build towards first of all. Speed work can come afterwards!

Was good to hear your story. Good luck training and keep us posted on your progress!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Yes, the other training is helping with stamina as I am doing alot of circuit training right now which keeps the heart rate up for long periods of time.

The last 4.5 mile run I did with my trainer felt almost too awkward to start with as it felt the pace was too slow... but it was obviously the way to go. We were chatting all the way too, something I cold only do initially for about the first half mile lol. If it wasn't for all the heavy shifting I did earlier that day and with my lower back feeling the effects of that, I could have easily have ran another few miles. My route has a couple of pretty sharp gradient down hill sections, but its mostly steady up hill gradients so I think I have a great route.

I have been looking at getting one of these Garmin 405 GPS watches to monitor my speed and help me increase speed gradually.

I will start my blog soon with the new training circuit I will be starting soon.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
welcome Paul :)

I'm near Bristol... looks like we could soon have the makings of a Brizzle posse :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Trinity, I thought I'd see alot more from Bristol.. I guess most are in hiding :)

Squint, thanks mate, if you know me from other car forums you'll know I post too much! lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morning Shep. It tends to be quieter on here at weekends. The prolific posters sneak in during work and it can be hard to keep up.
:lol: Morning Hrun :d, yes, I've noticed this with other forums, obviously some people have nothing better to do at work :lol::rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well chuffed tonight, I did my 5.3 mile circuit with a personal trainer I know and knocked off 9 minutes off my time from last Monday.

I have started my blog and have 5 entries in there now, so I am working on a 40 minute 10K. Just need to pick it up steadily as the weeks go by.

I have also posted my entry to the Castle Combe 10K in November and will be the 1st ever "race" I have entered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice one. Sounds like you are streets ahead of me.
No Giles, I got a little way to go yet, 5.3 miles in 49 mins and another 0.9 miles to go to make up the 10K with an average of around 9.5 minutes a mile, that makes 58 min 10K, you are 4 minutes ahead :)

I just got to push a little harder overall, which I will do of coarse next time :d

I suspect my shins and knees may be protesting tomorrow, but will get better when my weight comes down. I seem to be stagnent on 14st right now. I was 15st 4lbs a year ago, so its come off steadily which I am told is the best way... just seems to me its taking way too long to come off. Now I've started running too, I am hopefull it will come off a little quicker now. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Welcome to the forum Shep... cracking first post! Sounds like you're improving massively as you continue with your training, probably owing to the fact that you were so healthy all those years ago ;)

Great stuff entering a race, it's always great to have a goal to work towards :) Besides, there should be a good few of us forumites there - We've just announced the Castle Combe 10k as the official event for the forum social :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Shep

Welcome to RF.

Good luck with your training and 1/2 marathon.

TT:d

1 - 16 of 16 Posts