Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am 5ft8’ and weigh 11.5 stone. A year ago I started jogging 1.5 mile for fitness, every 3 days, only in summer and stopped after that. About 1 month ago, I decided that I was going to jog all year round, in all weather conditions, for fitness still. I have since been jogging 7 days a week and 2 weeks ago I increased my distance by half a mile and I now jog for 2 miles. I went to SweatShop.co.uk yesterday to have my running gait looked at for a suitable pair of trainers, but as they didn’t have my correct size I will have to wait 10 days before acquiring my new pair of running trainers. Today, during my jog I felt some mild stinging in my right shin. I do jog on a tarmac path in my local park, is this why or is it because I jog everyday?

For the past 5 days, I have been taking 2 cod liver oil capsules everyday. I normally do about 3 minutes of pre-stretch on the front and back of my legs but 5 days ago I started stretching my 'calves' also before my jog. I have to walk for about 5 minutes before I get to the park and on my way home. Should I be doing the same stretches after my 2 mile jog?

I think that I’m doing most of it right, apart from the jogging everyday and stretching afterwards. It seems to me that a 2 mile jog everyday isn’t exhausting my legs, considering that a colleague at work runs about 8 miles, two or three times a week.

Please advise and sorry for the long-windedness of my message.

Lloyd

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Sounds pretty much okay if it is what your body is used to. I would not think the pain was your trainers if you have had no problems before. This leads to the increase in distance. Might be worth decreasing the distance or taking a rest day to see if this sorts the pain.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Giles

Hi Giles,

Thanks for your reply. We are the same age, but I don't know about your height and weight. I think you're right about the day's rest. I have decided to take a rest every Wednesday but jog all other days. But I think that I will rest tomorrow and run again on Tuesday. If after a few days symptoms persists, then I shall run every other day. Once I get my new pair of Nike Air Structure Triax + 11 and my Nike + sportband (or in 10 days) I will make further adjustments to my jogging, like rest on Wednesdays and Saturdays until the shin pain stops.

Kind regards,

Lloyd

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I hope the new trainers are right for you. I am 6' 2" and just under 16 st.

If I increase training to fast then my ankles and calves hurt. Hence my suggestion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I too hope the new trainers are right for me, because I spent an hour in the shop enquiring, and the girl who saw to me is a qualified personal trainer and has an additional qualification in the sporting field. She had me walking, then jogging at my normal pace on a treadmill to see my running gait. She also said that I should try the new trainers out on a treadmill for 30 min before deciding to buy.

How about that for service?
ps. my aim is not to increase speed but distance. Remember, I only jog.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
hi! Welcome to the forum.
Tell me if I am wrong but are the Nikes you are getting the bright yellow option? If they are they are the same as I have and I had really bad blisters with them for the first 4 months until I contacted Nike and then the shop that I bought them from. Before you buy them check inside the shoe that the inner sole is sitting nice and snug on the inner step. I found that the inside of my foot (just back from my big toe) was rubbing against a very sharp / rough area on the sole which caused blisters after running for an hour or more. I ended up removing the Nike inner sole and putting a different manufacturers one in, problem solved.
The Nike after sales was really poor so if you do have any issues with the shoes just speak to the shop direct because that's all Nike tell you to do.

Enjoy,
O.

O.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had my feet tested 15 years ago ina shop in Bradford.
He said I needed a cushioning shoe,and sold me some New balance.
All I do now is order them off the internet, any NB cushioning ones.
I have been lucky and never had a problem with blisters, so I just stick to what I know works for me

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Nike are quite correct in their advice. Your contract is with the shop, their contract is with the distributor and back up the line until it gets back to Nike.

That is why it is so important to keep your proof of purchase as that confirms you bought the item from a certain place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Owain,

I believe that I am getting the Nike that you have mentioned and passed your concerns to the shop where I am buying them from. The girl assures me that everyone is different (lol) and what may have caused discomfort for you may not affect me in the same way. Nevertheless, I will have the option to use them once before deciding whether they are not suitable for me.

Thank you for your advice, because it is good to get other peoples' opinions.

Happy running and kind regards,

Lloyd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yox62,

When I went to the shop to get my feet checked for a suitable pair of trainers, my friend who runs 10k evey other day also came with me. He had his feet checked in a similar way 2 years ago, and the girl in the shop told him that peoples' feet change shape every 12 months or so. Therefore, it is good to have your feet checked everytime you are about to buy new running shoes. I do not have any problems with blisters neither, but if I run 3 miles everyday (as a beginner), I tend to get mild ache in my shins and knees. I will try to buy 'JointAce' tablets after my box of pure cod liver oil tablets run out. They are similar to cod liver oli tablets but more for those that run regularly. By the way guys, does taking 2 cod liver oil tablets per day instead of 1 ok? It hasn't caused me any problems so far. Just wanted your opinions.

Please advise and many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Lloyd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts