Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ive only just started running in the last couple of weeks and Im looking to build up to running a 10k race some time between November 2008 and August 2009. I have two problems. Firstly I cant seem to find any races in the highlands during that period and secondly I dont know how I should train for it. I have four free nights a week and I am also free for about an hour in the morning on six days of the week. I currently run either 2kor 3k twice or three times a week but I realize that is nowhere near enough. Any advice that I can get would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi Rory,
Welcome to the RF!
Another Scottish runner :) We will soon have domination!

Have you checked out Scottish Athletics for a local race? Its probably the best place with the most information about races.

Just checked the site myself and the 2008 / 2009 winter races havent been posted yet but I am sure you will find something on there when they update.

O.

·
Registered
131 Posts
welcome to another scottish member.

i'm no expert but the basic 'do a few manageable shorter runs (say 3k at this stage?) and then get in the habit of doing one longer run per week' seems to work for me. i'd suggest keeping doing your 2/3k runs but then once a week do a run that pushes you longer than you've been before. For example, you could make your first long run 5k, your next one 6 k etc etc etc until you reach 10k.

i'm sure other, more experienced runnerswill have other hints and tips

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

I'd suggest building up slowly, three days a week with a long run on one day. Also, make sure you take rest days in between your running days.

Why don't you aim for the Inverness 10km on October 5th?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello and Welcome.

Maybe even try a 5k race first if there is a suitable one before your 10k?

Runners World have a variety of training schedules that may be useful and you can customize to your individual needs.

Karen :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice. The Inverness 10km may be a bit soon for me but i'll see how I feel after a few weeks of training.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts