Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i'd start by introducing myself, im a 26 year old male from London and have just started running. I had cancer a couple of years ago (well still not given all clear) but thought i'd do a charity run -as you do.

So im running in the asics 10k london run this year to start -raise some cash for charity. This will be my 1st race since high school and i think 1500m was about as far as we ran back then. Running longer distances isnt really my forteit as my muscle mass seems to be up top with stick legs! : (

Sport wise i do muay thai (thaiboxing) and some weights and have just started getting into running. Just this morning i ran my first 10k on the treadmill -took 47.54, which i was quite happy with. Apart from that ive done 5k in 22.39 -i think its probably a lot easier on a treadmill with it dictating the pace and nice air conditioned oxygen to breathe rather than outside!

Anyway i got til july 6th to get as good as i can -and with your help hopefully i can keep below the 50 min mark in the real race!

Thanks Guys!

Canwood :p

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Canwood58 said:
I think its probably a lot easier on a treadmill with it dictating the pace and nice air conditioned oxygen to breathe rather than outside!
I bet you don't say the same once you've gotten used to running outside ;)

Welcome to the forum - your 10k time on the treadmill is pretty damn impressive for a first attempt... You're obviously in pretty good shape and with a decent bit of training you'll easily manage the 50min mark (by comparison my first 10k was 55mins on the treadmill, in the race I managed 45:49 - though I did tend to train outside more.

Best of luck in the upcoming race, and here's hoping it's the first of many ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Canwood,

Welcome and good luck with your fund raising, i am too am running my first race which is the race for life in June (quite a few others here are too) so lets hope we all raise lots of money.

Forest

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Seems your doing ok to me Canwood.

Good luck with the London 10k.

If you find you enjoy it,there are plenty more in Essex this year........:d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Canwood

Welcome to RF, best of luck with your race in July, you must keep us posted on your progress.

When will you know that you are in the clear?

TT :d

·
Registered
707 Posts
Canwood58 said:
Thought i'd start by introducing myself, im a 26 year old male from London and have just started running. I had cancer a couple of years ago (well still not given all clear) but thought i'd do a charity run -as you do.

So im running in the asics 10k london run this year to start -raise some cash for charity. This will be my 1st race since high school and i think 1500m was about as far as we ran back then. Running longer distances isnt really my forteit as my muscle mass seems to be up top with stick legs! : (

Sport wise i do muay thai (thaiboxing) and some weights and have just started getting into running. Just this morning i ran my first 10k on the treadmill -took 47.54, which i was quite happy with. Apart from that ive done 5k in 22.39 -i think its probably a lot easier on a treadmill with it dictating the pace and nice air conditioned oxygen to breathe rather than outside!

Anyway i got til july 6th to get as good as i can -and with your help hopefully i can keep below the 50 min mark in the real race!

Thanks Guys!

Canwood :p

Wow! Hello! Sounds like you're doing awesome as it is! It's true that running on a treadmill can make things a tad easier, but adding a gradient of around 1-2% makes it more like running outdoors... but anyway, I can run 10k in less than 50 mins... and I'm a gurl! Sounds like you're there anyways :d But yeah, good on you, and good luck with everything and I hope you do find this place of use!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
almost_no_specifics said:
Wow! Hello! Sounds like you're doing awesome as it is! It's true that running on a treadmill can make things a tad easier, but adding a gradient of around 1-2% makes it more like running outdoors... but anyway, I can run 10k in less than 50 mins... and I'm a gurl! Sounds like you're there anyways :d But yeah, good on you, and good luck with everything and I hope you do find this place of use!

Your a gurl! No need to taunt me! :p Will definately have to beat that 50 min mark now, cant be having that! I do know a rather punishing 10k route where i am now i could use, as scenic as you can get but it may well kill me! :(

·
Registered
707 Posts
It may do... but then if you weren't in fear for your life it wouldn't be as much fun... or atleast that's the way I see rollercoasters...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well im living in sydney right now on Bondi beach so this sunday i'll attempt the bondi to coogee coastal walk think its 5.3k -so there and back will be 10.6k of steep incline and steps nice view though! Thanks guys - i guess if i can run this i'll find London pretty easy in comparison!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Hi (or is it "G'day?) and welcome to RF. :d As someone who's currently in Australia, you may be interested in the thread "Perth To Sydney..." in the "General" section of the forum. Here, members can post the mileage of the runs that they do , with the cumulative total going towards the distance required to get from, yeah you guessed it, Perth to Sydney. We've currently done over 400 miles between us, and are still only in the South-West corner of the country (more or less following the south coast route). So get yourself along to that thread and add your mileage! ;)http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/general/2929-perth-sydney-2552-miles-6.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts