Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my 1st post :)

I decided 2008 was the year i sort myself out, and i have started running.

recently its getting now that i can push myself much harder than i could, mostly because my breathing is much better now than it was.

(my 1st run i managed 400 yards on newyears day before having to have a breather, my run now, whilst still not impressive is 2 miles in 20 mins without stopping of which includes a rather large hill, i hope to have this up to 5 miles by xmas).

However

last friday, by the end of my run i noticed i had pins and needles in my fingers, felt very faint and had <very slight> chest pains.

i recovered quickly after my run - much faster than when i started running, and felt very good, and have not had the chest pains since, however am wondering if i am pushing myself too hard, or is this just normal?

the thing is, i am hardly what you would call fit, weighing in at 18st 10lbs (down from 21 st 12lbs at xmas) and a mild athsmatic.

am only 32 however so in theory i would hope i am not in heart attackville just yet.

any thoughts?

cheers and thanks for reading

M.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Howdy Mike! Sounds like you've already come on leaps and bounds :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the feeling faint and tingling fingers thing too much, it could well have been that it was just a case of pushing yourself very hard and could easily be accompanied by something like a lack of energy in the system (depending on what you'd been eating etc)... if it starts happening more often though then be sure to mention it again or do something about it (visit a GP or similar) ;)

Anyways, welcome to the forum... I hope you stick around and get plenty of answers to any questions you may have :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike, and well done!

I think 2 miles in 20 minutes including a hill is impressive actually, especially as you say you are carrying a bit of weight.

Have you had a check up with your GP? It might be worth just having a chat with them, just for peace of mind more than anything.

If you ever feel faint on a training run you must stop.

Are you dieting? Did you have enough to drink? These could all be factors as to why you felt that way.

No need to push too hard just yet, just focus on run time rather than run distance. As your time running increases you will naturally get fitter and will be able to run faster without extra effort

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi Mike!
Welcome to the forum!
That is great news that you've stuck with the running, dropping from 21st to 18st is a great achievement!

As RS said, if the pains continue or come back then maybe worth speaking to a GP. They might even suggest meeting with someone who will be able to give you a training program to help with your astma and your 5mile target.

All the best and keep at it :)

O.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers guys :)

next time i go for an athsma check up i will be having a word with the GP as after 10 years of being a lardarse i guess its a shock to the system! ;)

i am dieting as well as exercising.

My weekly training plan is

Sunday Run
Monday 2hrs badminton
Tuesday Run
Wednesday Rest (maybe football at work)
Thursday 1 hrs badminton and Run
Friday Run
Saturday Rest.

i keep thinking i should join a gym but that just seems so dull!.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
just make sure you keep yourself well fueled enough for your runs and you'll hopefully be fine... definately worth mentioning is you have an upcoming visit to your GP anyhow :)

Hopefully you'll find you asthma improves with your fitness... I remember suffering quite badly with exercise induced asthma (admitedly not as bad) when I started running and couldn't run anything more than a slow jog without needing my inhaler - nowadays though it's not a problem in the slightest and I don't even own an inhaler anymore :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow cheers guys.... even more people posting than on my car forum.... yet another reason to get fired now sufing this site ;)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
You will find there is quite a community here :) A lot of active users. It kept me hooked because people were asking how my last run went and things like that, it keeps you motivated.

If you have a bad week and feel really low on motivation, pop on here and before you know it your out running again, it soons become a habit rather than a chore and you end up looking forward to your runs rather than trying to dodge them.

O.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mike

I'm still a Lard arse and grew up near Cambridge (Royston). Where abouts are you? I can't think of anywhere near Cambridge with a hill!

LIke you I am trying to get my mileage up - preferably to 26.2 miles by March 22nd!

MY breathing is no longer a problem, it's my tired old legs that are holding me back.

Good luck with the running.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Owain you are right, after 7 months of ballache i am actaully starting to get the buzz, esp when you beat your PB or manage to run an extra few hundred yards without stopping.

when i 1st started i dreamed of the day i could get to the "top" of the hill in my run without stopping, now i do the full circuit and the top of the hill is half way point.

Marathon Fool, good luck mate a marathon will be some achievement. The hill in question is Haverhill which is where i live, but no one has heard of it outside of east anglia.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its not a bad little town for running, and lots of fields around as well - though at moment i am sticking to roads, tho i guess its bad for my knees esp with my "portly" size so perhaps i should consider the fields.

i found a site, walkjogrun.net i think it is, and have found it a great aid for planning my routes,, and whats more, after living here for 8 years, maybe now i am running i will finally get to know the town outside of the actual centre.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum.

I'm another relative newbie, only been 'running' for about 4 months now (and like Marathon Fool am scheduled to lug my oversized posterior around the streets of good old London town next April).

With regard your pins and needles in your hands, I suffered the same thing when I first started out (and still do occassionally). I think it is something to do with when you're running your body automatically diverts your blood to where it is most needed and away from (what it considers) the less important bits. Therefore your extremeties (yes all of them) may get a reduced blood supply and therefore you can get pins and needles. I find just shaking my arms and hands out (just think Mad Lizzy if you can remember that) tends to sort it out even if it does make me look a bit mad whilst running :d

Anyway good to hear you're progressing well and probably more importantly enjoying it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Mike, I used to live in Cambridge, and be over 20 stone, and I own a fiat coupe - oooh creepy ! But you can run further than me so thats where we differ !

I believe the rest of Cambridgeshire refer to it as Haverhole mate :d

With regard to the gym joining thing, I have found that the machines and programs given to me in the gym make me really good at those machines and errr thats it. No doubt its good for my heart because its pumping like a good 'un, and I can feel like da man doing level 15 for half an hour on a X trainer, but it just doesn't transfer to an ability to run well outside. If thats your priority I would question if its worth it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hi Mike, I used to live in Cambridge, and be over 20 stone, and I own a fiat coupe - oooh creepy ! But you can run further than me so thats where we differ !

I believe the rest of Cambridgeshire refer to it as Haverhole mate :d

With regard to the gym joining thing, I have found that the machines and programs given to me in the gym make me really good at those machines and errr thats it. No doubt its good for my heart because its pumping like a good 'un, and I can feel like da man doing level 15 for half an hour on a X trainer, but it just doesn't transfer to an ability to run well outside. If thats your priority I would question if its worth it.
Good taste in cars then :) did you join the club/forum?

my aim is to primarily lose weight and get a lady, have been single for far to long, running was just a means to an end, however, i am beginning to enjoy it so who knows (just got back from it now actually and managed another 100 yards or so before stopping).

PS i know about "haverhole" and call it that myself sometimes, however, i think in all honesty Haverhill has one of the most unfair reps of any town i know, it is actually a nice friendly town, just with a couple of dodgy estates with car thieving scallies on (but what town doesnt have them?)

Personally i think a lot of it is Cambridgeshire folks snobbery ;) (and infact i know of more friends getting in trouble with scumbags in Cambridge than i do Haverhill)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hey chum.

Well done on getting out there!

Don't know Cambridge that well so I don't know where the hills are - I'm in Histon and that hill (or to others 'gentle incline') on the way in (or out) is enough for me!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Fantastic result! Welcome.

I get a numb right hand sometimes near the end of a run. I think it is from holding my arm in a bent position for so long.

Keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts