Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

im a 36yr old (overweight) male living in essex and a lovely wife and two fantastic kids. In the past 4 years ive tried running numeroius time and generally only lasted 3-4months and then made really lame excuses to give up :embarrassed:, so this now takes me on to what happened yesterday at work.

Whilst in the office my running history came up in conversion and ive now been challenged by a mate to a weight loss competition before our christmas party (cant believe ive just mentioned christmas and it's only August). Basically it's down to who can lose the most weight within that time and to make it a bit more interesting we've made it £5 for everyone 1lb lost. But unfortunaletly we cant start until he returns from his family holiday, so the 1st of september is the start date. So it does give me a month to create a running and diet plan.

Hope i haven't gone on to much.
regards

Nos

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Sounds like a fun competition, although I'm not a big fan of rapid weight loss for comeptitive purposes as it is not always healthy. But as long as your sensible about it, good luck. As for a diet and running plan, it would help if you could give us some more information:

1) What is your height, build and current body weight?
2) What do you think would be your ideal healthy weight?
3) when was the last time you did do regular exercise?
4) how far can you run? Or what kind of regime did you have last time you did run?
5) How motivated are you? If you are highly motivated with good wil power, people might suggest a pretty strict diet and exercise programme. If not, then a more relaxed approach might be best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JJBury for your reply.
i dont think i'll be trying for rapid weight loss using these milk shake things, just trying to change my general eating habits and regular exercise.

Im 5'11 and 15s 1lb.
Im assuming my ideal weight to be 13s 7lb but thats a complete guess.
the last time i did regular exercise was approx 4 yrs ago and that was doing martial arts.
well the last time i tried running i was doing the 2mins run and 1min walk but i only use to do it for 15mins as thats how long it took me to get round the block, so i assume ill be doing that principle again.
With respects to motivation, im pretty motivated but dont want to rush things, as im going to try and make this a lifestyle change and not a quick blast up until christmas.

Nos

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I would advise that you start really slowly. Just go out and jog a mile to begin with (walk some of it if you need to) and see how you feel. Over time, just build up the mileage (no more than 10% a week). Try and go for a run at least 3 or 4 times a week, and start to gauge your progress. On the diet, just cut down on saturated fats, eat three balanced meals a day and don't snack. Also, before you do any running, make sure you have proper running shoes. I would say you should aim to get down to about 12.5 stone ideally. The lighter you get the easier the running will become.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Good luck with it Nos.

just to disagree with JBB slightly, if you do snack, make it a piece of fruit or something healthy.

Eating little and often can stimulate more weight loss than sticking to 3 meals a day, something to do with the metabolic rate apparently.

Where abouts in Essex are you?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Do you have an official 'weigh-in' to signify the start/end of the competition? I'd get practising with conceiling weights in your clothing for that bit of a head start ;)

Competitive weight loss isn't ideal if it gets competitive - but as long as you're doing it for teh right reasons and aren't going to get caught up in any last ditch efforts to win the competition by starving yourself then great stuff.

What kind of running did you used to do? enlighten us :)

Welcome to the forum too ;) :d

1 - 9 of 9 Posts