Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just joined the forum so best wishes to you all.

I am well into training for my fourth of the Big 5 marathons in Berlin, having already completed London, Chicago and Boston.

Now the reason I got into Boston was not due to being a bit of a flyer, but because I am an amputee and was able to take one of the places reserved for runners with disabilities. If any of you ran the 2007 race, then frankly we were all disabled so horrible was the day.

Its a long story, but I do enjoy leaving jobs and going travelling and this time I left my career as a lawyer in the UK to work for an amputee NGO in Phnom Penh, where this post comes from. So if you have been out here then you will know that training/running in this heat is a right ball ache and is not that enjoyable.

Thankfully thus far, I have not been beset with my usual injuries. For London 2005 I could only manage 57.5 miles of running in training and even less for Boston! In fact, so struck with injuries was I for the latter race, that I had to walk 7 miles as I eased the pain out of the body and was the other side of delighted with my time of 5 hours 23 minutes.

I can run once a week at best. This is not necessarily due to being an amputee, but because I was so active in my youth that my legs are knackered. The majority of training is amassed through walking and time in the gym. Often, when injuries take their toil, its down to keeping off the beer and chocolate.

But I got into running for a number of reasons, not least a loathing of the diving and antics of footballsers both on and off the pitch. I love the purity of it all and the fact that unlike most sports, I am in the same race as the world's best and the crowds cheer me on as much as they might Paula or Haile. I reckon after NYC next year then I will have to hang up my shoes and running leg as the injuries are going to be too much but for now, I love every painful step of the expereince.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi John

Welcome to RF.

What a brilliant post, the very best of luck to you and keep us posted on how you get on.

TT :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi John,
Welcome to RF and thanks for sharing your running background with us! One word is Amazing!
Shame that you may need to hang up your running shoes next year but as you say, make the most of now :)

Look forward to reading more about your training.

O.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome to the Forum John.

Great post - you summed up the reason why running is so enjoyable - hope all goes well for your remaining marathons:)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi John... inspirational! Welcome to RunnersForum!

I'm running Boston next year..I might be asking you for tips :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts