Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there I am relativly new to this running lark and thoguht joining a forum would be a good place to start.

I am 28, 5 foot 8 and about 12 stone. Did 10k 2 years back in a time of ... wait for it, 1 hour 5 mins. I had to stop running becasue of shin splints however :-(

Now i have signed up for another 10k in a few months. However i have real issues running, I built up to 5k the other day but it took me 40 mins. Also when i run at say 9km/h after 10 mins my heart rate is above 190 !! (resting is 60 or lower) Does this mean my heart is all kinds of wrong? Why is it so high going so slow!?

Anyway sorry for all the questions :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry it wouldnt let me edit my post.

What i wanted to ask is, am i just seriously unfit!?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Could be various reasons for your heart rate reading being so high - sadly being unfit is one potential reason yes :embarrassed: Get stuck in with the high intensity stuff and you'll soon see your cardio-vascular fitness improve and that HR will come down a bit ;)

Welcome to the forum :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF.

I suspect you need to gradually build up your fitness...don't try too much too soon but do incorporate some hillwork.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok cheers both, i suppose just keep running and it will eventually come down :)
will let you know

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Welsh

Welcome to RF.

Good luck with your training for your 10k, don't worry about times right now just get back into the swing of it and enjoy it, don't want to go putting yourself off now.

Your fitness will improve in no time.

TT :d

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
To come in between Richard and Steve here (never thought I'd say that). Your cardio vacular performance improves slower than your muscular performance so quite quickly your legs can outrun your lungs and heart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts