Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, Names Glyn, 27 and just getting into running after years of only playing football.

In August 2006 i broke my Ankle playing football, and was off my feet for 4 months (it was a worse than just a break, itore all my ligaments and tendons and needed a pin and all sorts of ops!!!) anyway when i was back and started physio they suggested going for runs to get it back better.. so i did, for longer and longer and further and further.

The to challenge my elf i did one of them "Run for Moore" Runs at 5k which at the time seemed like miles!! I trained hard and did it in 23 minutes! It was great fun a real buzz and the chalange to beat your body was what kept me going!

I then wanted to go further and 2 weekends ago after again lots of traning (my own plan!) i did 10k (Weston park for Cancer Reserch)that in 46.56 which i was very pleased with for a first time. I know i could have done it quicker and it was pretty hilly, and was ok at the end which shocked me! :eek:

Anyway, i have resolved to do a half maraton next and thats where this place comes, in as im in need of advice, on should i do another 10k, how to train for a half marathon, and if with the times above, im anywhere near ready for it...

I fancy the Bath Half marathon next year, but dont know if thats an acivable time frame.

So any thoughts people??

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi Glyn... welcome to the forum.

You've done pretty well in just over a year since breaking you ankle! And you have some decent 5k and 10k times too.

A little warning...don't let your enthusiasm get you doing too much too soon though, as far as training goes.

What mileage are you doing a week? You shouldn't really increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% at a time or you will be at a high risk of injury.

However, I think you've got plenty of time to train for a spring half marathon, provided you can keep the training up over the dark, cold winter nights.

Personally I would pick a nicer half marathon than Bath. there are loads around, that have better routes, better organisation, and more reasonably priced. But it's up to you really, if you've set your heart on Bath then don't say I didn't warn you :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Welcome Glyn!

Well done in the 10K. A really good result, especially if you felt good in the end and finished thinking you could have gone faster.

Keep on working well :) but like Trinity said, don't overdo it. Enthusiasm is good but with a bit of planning and ability to rest when needed.
During my first few years running I was a well of enthusiasm... and I never went more than 3 months withou an injury :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts