Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to running! I'm Helen, 22 and I play tenpin bowling at an international level. I've taken up running partly to keep in shape for that, partly to lose a bit of weight and keep healthy and partly to relieve stress. So far, I've dropped from a size 16 to a 14, which has been enough to keep me interested!

I did the City of London Race for Life at the start of June and completed it in 33 minutes, which I know doesn't sound fantastic, but I was really pleased as I did hardly any training and stupidly had nothing to eat that morning. I've just entered a 10k at the end of September and the aim is to complete it in under an hour.

I've just treated myself to a pair of proper running shoes rather than my old trainers and I'm happy with them - but what's the best way to wear them in? I'm getting pretty bad blisters at the moment and so far I haven't been able to do more than a couple of KM in them as my feet just start screaming. Would talcolm powdering my feet help?

When I went to the running shop, the guy said that my arches were starting to collapse - I knew this anyway and he commented on the fact I have pretty delicate ankles which rotate a lot when I run. What is the best way to give them a bit of extra support? I've also suffered tendonitis in the past.

Also, another question - sorry! Where is the best place to buy sports bras? I'm very busty and find it a nightmare!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Helsie

Welcome to RF, good for you for entering another race.

I don't suffer with blister too much but others on hear swear by compeed, so it might be worth ago.

sweatshop might be a good start for sports bra's especially if you want to try them on, check out their website for store locations, or if you don't mind buying online, try again sweatshop.co.uk, startfitness.co.uk or lessbounce.co.uk.

Hope all this helps and keep us posted on your progress.

TT

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm also currently having some blister issues and am planning on getting a proper gait analysis done (although it sounds like you might have done this already?). As I'm pretty new to this I'm not the best person to comment on that....

Where bras are concerned, I swear by a good Shock Absorber, they come in lots of levels and I think the highest one is for running. You can get them in loads of places, but I've seen them a lot in Debenhams recently as well as sports shops. My friends who are a little curvier than me often comment on how good Bravissimo are too.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Aye aye Helsie welcome to the forum. I use to bowl a wee bit in my younger day carried a 200+ average for a wee while too. I was having a good two or three months.

·
Registered
634 Posts
When I went to the running shop, the guy said that my arches were starting to collapse - I knew this anyway and he commented on the fact I have pretty delicate ankles which rotate a lot when I run. What is the best way to give them a bit of extra support? I've also suffered tendonitis in the past
Go to a podiatrist - they should be able to tell you whether you need orthotics to support your arches.

and...welcome to the Forum:)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi Helsie!

I think I should probably introduce myself officially too as I'm pretty new to this running lark!

I'm Jo, started running last summer and am currently living and working in rural japan which means right now I am trying really hard to aclimatise to running in 80% humidity!! It kills me!!!

Thank you to everyone for all the advice you have kindly given me so far :)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

How can you be happy with a pair of trainers which give you blisters? I bought a new pair of Nikes and have done 100 miles plus. I did not wear them in and have only run in them. NO blisters. Something is not right with your trainers.

As for Bras google Shock Absorber. They are around the same price everywhere but watch stock as the larger sizes are slow delivery if the shop has to order them. Mrs Hrun is a 36G and they are great bras. Ebay is good also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm happy with them as for the first time ever, I've not had pain in my arches and ankles. I have literally only worn them 3/4 times and I bought some running socks yesterday which seemed to help, so we shall see. Thank you for the bust advice - I'm a 36F and they're a mare!

Squint - that's so cool! I do love my bowling and average 200+ myself.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome Helsie.

I don`t usually have a problem with blisters,but my last pair of shoes,(same I as always wear.)did give me a blister for some reason.

I stuck with them and things settled after around 40 miles.

All the best.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Once I got a strike! lol :embarrassed: I usually give up after a while and see what speed I can get the balls up to seeing as the local lanes seem to measure it nowadays - I broke the 30mph barrier last time! :d

Welcome to the forum... hopefully I can offer some better advice on running than I can on bowling ;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I can give some bowling advice....especially leg spin.......or have I got that wrong?!!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I was in a comptition in Stirling a many years ago just got a new ball that day first shot in anger with it to pick up a 5 pin spare in the 8th frame, thumb slipped out ball went off towards the gutter I turned in disgust hobbling away. At first didn't hear the crowd get a bit excited turn round to see the pin was gone I won the game by 3 pins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you smack it off your ankle? Haha nicely done to win.

Last time I smacked the ball off my ankle, I had 68 in the 5th frame, smashed it into my ankle with enough force to knock myself over, struck and went off the sheet :d Not recommended though!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts