Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. Just a short intro. Im new to these forums and pretty new to running

Im SJ, from the Glasgow area. Im 22 and my Primary interest is bodybuilding although i used to be into running, inparticular in my early teens. I have started getting back into it recently as my metabolism is starting to slow down a tad and the muscle gain is starting to be accompanied with fat :(

Been running a nice private country estate thats 1.5 miles and currently working on getting my time down to the 10 min mark before moving onto 3 miles. My first time was 13.5min and im now down to 11 min 10 sec....that wasnt pretty BTW!

I dont plan on getting into marathons or any long distance running as that would probably detract from my weight training. I hope to improve my fitness and stamina a little and avoid fat gain. This forum seems like a good place to get some pointers. :).

Regards

SJ

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome

Ill do a bit of lurking as theres nothing worse for the regular guys than newbies blocking up the forums with the same old questions.

Regards

SJ

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome SJ.

We like the same old questions...................

They are the easiest to answer.....................:d

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve said:
Welcome SJ

Same old questions not a problem at all..I agree with Dave's sentiments!
Thank god for that. Im not finding what I need from browsing. SOmetimes the thread titles dong Give you much of a clue :rolleyes:

Cheers for the welcome Steve

SJ

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hiya SJ and welcome, you say you're not bothered about marathons or long distance. Bet this time next year your running miles and miles:d

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hey! Don't feel bad about being too lazy to read what's already lurking in the threads, it just means I can pretend I know something... when really I'm just repeating what I've already been told myself!

Steve said:
I know...terrible the way they go off track and get hijacked....

My bad :embarrassed:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the welcome Dimple

I can guarantee you i wont be lol. Im too interested in bodybuilding and you can only focus on one or the other as they are chalk and cheese!

SJ

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Don't body builders find running hard work, as their ligaments are shortened or something? Or does it depend on how bulky you are?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Dunno... I saw some preeettty bulky fellas running the sheffield half marathon... but then I did pass them, the wee lil girl I am, couldn't of been great for their self esteem... they were being held back by their remarkably large theighs rubbing against each other though! I was just surprised they were there fullstop... so you never know...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey

My genetics are slightly more suited to running than bodybuilding. Im naturally quite tall and slim...although several years of training with weights have sorted that out a little.

Im not that big TBH although i do have to wear long shorts to stop my theighs rubbing together.

Im not a competitive bodybuilder. Just recreational at the moment. I did say that i was going to compete this year but i bottled it and dont have enough time to diet down to contest condition.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tell me about it!!!!

It makes it a pain in the arse for gaining size as my body wasnt designed to carry more than average mass.

Im about 14 stone and pretty lean although i could be doing with getting a tad leaner. I keep progress pics which i will be due to update in a few weeks. Probably not suitable for a running forum but if anyone is interested in the progress of a recreational and pretty lightweight bodybuilder then ill post.

SJ

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome ..

Long gone has the days of the skinny long distance runner ... I do 4 days a week on the weights and can still run very well in fact better than when I weighed less:embarrassed:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds great. Why do you think that is? Better overall conditioning and because you are involving the fast twitch muscle fibres aswell as the slower ones when running?

I usually only train with weights 3 x per week in a very intense manner. The rest of the time is used for recovery and from now ona little Cardio work :rollseyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts