Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have recently decided that I needed something to aim towards if I'm ever going to get properly fit.

I have decided to enter the Henley half marathon which is on the 8th October!

I have normally tried to keep fit by either swimming or attending the gym but I've never attempted long distance running. I did try a 3 mile road run the other day I must be honest I really struggled. I went to the gym last night and did a 45 minute run on the treadmill at a steady pace (well to me anyway) and I completed just over 8k.

Basically my main questions are:

1. Is road running going to be a lot better training for me than going on a running machine in the gym?

2. I only have 8 weeks to train so I want to train hard and get a fit as possible, I plan to swim on my rest days as I have had back trouble in the past and swimming always helps. Is swimming on rest days acceptable?

3. Most programs I look at are for more than a 8 week schedule, does anyone have any advice for an 8 week schedule?

Any advice welcome!!

Thanks,

·
Registered
123 Posts
The advantages of road running over the treadmill is that it simulates the surface that you'll be running on much better and also is slightly harder than a treadmill at 0% incline (I seem to remember reading in RW once that a 1.5% incline on a treadmill is like running on a flat surface in terms of difficulty).

Running on a treadmill can be better for measuring distance, times, improvements and the like and has less impact than on a road so you're less likely to get injured on a treadmill. I tend to find treadmill running pretty boring so I usually steer clear of it unless I'm doing something which requires accurate measurements etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts