Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post! ;-)

im philip, took up running about 6 months ago to help me loose a bit of excess weight and get fit generally as id put a few pounds (stone) on over a few years after a rugby injury and just gave up doing any form of excercise really! i really enjoy it now! so ive carried it on, lost a lot of weight and i did my first ever 'event' which was also my first ever 10k on sunday at the manchester great run, finished it in 51.49 which althouhg i am impressed at i think i can do a lot better, especially as i had to re-tie a shoelace :embarrassed: ! so other than looking at elastic laces i have also been looking at other events that i can do to help me want to get a better time! ;)
like the funky forum aswell!!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome coolerking.

Well done on your first 10k.You`ve every reason to be pleased with yourself.

Stick with this lot on here and you will be running further and faster than you thought possible.

Just to get away from the loonies...................................:d

Their all lovely really.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi coolerking

Welcome to the forum, great result with race at the weekend plus your weight loss.

It's such an achievment completing your first race, definitely leaves you with that thirst to do another.

TT :d

·
Registered
120 Posts
coolerking said:
My first post! ;-)

im philip, took up running about 6 months ago to help me loose a bit of excess weight and get fit generally as id put a few pounds (stone) on over a few years after a rugby injury and just gave up doing any form of excercise really! i really enjoy it now! so ive carried it on, lost a lot of weight and i did my first ever 'event' which was also my first ever 10k on sunday at the manchester great run, finished it in 51.49 which althouhg i am impressed at i think i can do a lot better, especially as i had to re-tie a shoelace :embarrassed: ! so other than looking at elastic laces i have also been looking at other events that i can do to help me want to get a better time! ;)
like the funky forum aswell!!!! ;)
Hi Phil,welcome to the site and the sport.I envy you just starting out on what can prove to be a wonderful and fulfiling experience.That is a great start to your racing career,you live in a great part of UK for races.Have fun,the people on this site seem really caring and helpful.:d

·
Registered
180 Posts
can't believe you done 10k for your first event thats really good ive not done my first one yet its coming up in june and its only 5k

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the positive feedback guys really appreciate it and yes i have the bug! so much so i have just signed up for the great yorkshire run aswell!!!! ;) i have been looking at a lot of local 10k runs that are organised by local clubs (of which im not a memebermay i add!) ones but they seem a little more daunting at the moment as their times are a lot quicker and they are more competitive i would have thought, which is way out of my league yet!

Stotty, your only in spring head, im in mossley! the 5k at alexandra park by any chance? that was going to be my first event but got an unwanted ticket for the gmr so i thought id throw myself in at the deep end! ;)

I did do a little training in the cooler when i had been naughty, this entailed jofgging on the spot mainly with a little 1 man piggy in the middle with the baseball, also helped me start my weight loss regime! ;) ;) ;)

just thought id explain a little about my name. i have been a member of many forums all of which i have been known as coolerking, the first forum i joined properly was pumapeople.com, which as some of you may remember steve mcqueen was in the advert for the puma, at the time i was also working on refigeration units in a university building, the whole thing clicked together like a jigsaw and the rest is history. sorry if i bored you with this worthless snippet but..................

tough! ;)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I think you'd do fine in a 10K organised by a club I did my first 10K a couple of weeks ago and I was much slower.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
really? what time did you get if you dont mind me asking?

do you know what sort of times are 'expected' at club events?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts