Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm Mike and I am originally from the Isle of Man but now living in Rhyl - North Wales. I used to be reasonably good as a youth, but now I'm 33 and only just starting to get back into things after years with no running.

My goal this year is Snowdonia Marathon - 4 hours would be nice. Last time 5 years ago was just over 5 with an injury so 4 would be good. The race is Late October and I'm just starting running again now. I've been for a few 4-5 mile runs so ar and will be building up gradually. I tell you what it takes alot longer to get anywhere near a decent fitness level now than it did when I was 18. Spose that means I'm getting old.

Any advice, anything I should/should not be doing? Anyone from here planning on doing Snowdonia?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My advice is take it easy..... I suffered from over training due to too much enthusiasm. When you're just starting out you tend to improve quite quickly at first then reach a plateau which can be frustrating. Allow your body to rest and make sure you take care of yourself nutrition wise. If you're planning a marathon (and 4 hours is pretty ambitious) then make sure you get a good training programme but don't be afraid to deviate from it when needed - we all get ill, or too busy or the kids are poorly etc, so don't make your life a misery if you need to skip a day or two. Having said that, don't try and then catch up for lost runs - it doesn't work!

Most of all enjoy your running and the health benefits they bring - good luck with the marathon!!

Su2

1 - 3 of 3 Posts